Are there any NVMe SSDs that don't work with Mint 19.1?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Are there any NVMe SSDs that don't work with Mint 19.1?

Post by Todd Sauve »

Hi everybody!

I will be upgrading my Asus Z87 Plus Bios to a modified version that supports booting into your OS from an NVMe SSD PCIe 3x4 drive adapter, since the Z87 boards did not support the boot option, though they accept PCIe 3 adapter cards and NVMe storage drives just fine.

I was quite pleased to find that there are people who have managed to get these NVMe drives working pretty much perfectly as boot drives for all the Intel chipsets going back the Z58 (or maybe it is Z57?) versions!

Has anyone else done this and have they run into any problems with it on Mint 19.1?

More specifically, are there any brands of NVMe SSDs that Mint just does not like and won't work with?

I am wanting to buy an ADATA SX8200 Pro 500 GB M.2 2280 SSD, since they have superlative reviews and are the current price/performance leader. If anyone is using one, please let me know if it is working out OK for you. If you are having problems with it, please let me know what they are and if you have found a fix for it.

Thanks to all for all of the help you've afforded me in the past--and in the future, as well!!! ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Are there any NVMe SSDs that don't work with Mint 19.1?

Post by Raycoupe »

I'm running LM19.1 on a Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb.

Having a small problem, but probably caused by my inexperience with linux mint and UEFI setup: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=286348
Opened a topic to get this solved. It works fine, but when i right click a file/folder and select properties, is shows its medium is 'unknow'
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Yes, Mint does throw us some real curve balls when it comes to hardware and software.

I wonder if going with the Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe drive might be a better idea, or have you heard of problems with them too?

And now that I look at my local Memory Express store's prices today, they have changed a lot from yesterday! Man this is really day to day! Anyway, today the Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2 Stick is priced at $139, while the Adata Pro drive has gone up to $149 and the Western Digital Black is up to $180. Decisions, decisions ... :roll:
Minty00

Post by Minty00 »

For what it's worth I haven't had any issues using a Samsung SM961. I do have a different chipset though.
It's 128GB and reads at 2650mb in Linux which is a little bit slower than in the Windows benchmark I ran when I got it (3150mb). Not that it mattes! It's working correctly.

Return to “Hardware Support”