Mount external HDD stopped working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chellrose
Level 1
Level 1

Mount external HDD stopped working

Post by chellrose »

I have an external (USB) hard drive, format NTFS. It used to be the case that when I plugged in the drive, Mint would automatically recognize and mount it.

I was copying a bunch of files to the drive via Nemo, and stopped the copy operation before it had finished. This seems to have unmounted the drive, and now I can't remount it. The drive shows up under Devices in Nemo, but telling it to mount does nothing. And

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sdb1
gives an error about the device not being found in /etc/fstab. The drive also won't auto-mount upon a reboot.

What do I need to do to restore the previous behavior (auto-mount upon plugging in the device)? Do I need to add something to fstab?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Mount external HDD stopped working

Post by WharfRat »

See if it will mount to /mnt using sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o defaults,noatime,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Then navigate to the /mnt folder to see your files.
chellrose
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mount external HDD stopped working

Post by chellrose »

Huh. Last night I tried a reboot, which did nothing. But today, after spending some time in Windows, I again rebooted into Mint and the drive auto-mounted as normal. :?

Thanks, WharfRat. If (when?) this happens again I will try that mount command.

Return to “Hardware Support”