Mouse and keyboard freezing

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Mouse and keyboard freezing

Post by PartsAbuser »

Hi all,
I'm having trouble with a new PC build. The mouse and keyboard freeze up, and once this happens the only way to move forward is to reboot.
How would one go about pinpointing the source of such a problem?
Also, does Linux have anything similar to the Windows control-alt-delete function?

Specs:
MB: GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3
APU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
SSD: Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8
power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 650W

ps. The power supply was changed in the hopes that it would cure my problem. Alas...
Any help would be appreciated.
Vince

edited 2/25/2019 to remove [SOLVED] from the subject... Read on
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Eugenia

Re: Mouse and keyboard freezing

Post by Eugenia »

I would more look at the RAM for such freezing, not the PSU. Removing one RAM stick and retry. If it freezes again, put it back in and remove the other and retry. If that doesn't fix it, it could be a USB stack bug on the kernel, or even a motherboard problem. But first, as I said, I'd look at the RAM.
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

Eugenia,
Thanks for responding. I've tried removing one RAM stick but it still freezes. I've removed that stick and reinstalled the other. It will be a day or two before I have enough time to determine whether or not the problem returns. In the mean time, stay tuned...
Vince
Tonym49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tonym49 »

Hi, you don't say which distro you are using, I assume a flavour of Linux Mint. I have been using Linux for about 5 years, and have just begun experiencing system freezes that can only be escaped from by forcing a shut down via the power switch. This on a home built machine that has been rock solid for 2 years. The problem has only started since upgrading to Mint 19 Cinnamon. I suspect that there is a bug at the root of the problem, but I don't have the expertise to track it down. Have a look at another recent post in the Hardware Support section that seems to be a similar problem. Watch this space, if I find out anything of value I will post it. :D
annapereira

Post by annapereira »

Having the same problem too. Daily. Switched from firefox (always happens with ff) to Opera. No crashes/freezes but Log message: [drm:generic_reg_wait [amdgpu]] *ERROR* REG_WAIT timeout 1us * 100 tries - tgn10_lock line:566. It's not RAM because I tested them with MemTest86, Maybe it's Amd Rayzen.
Can you help? Thx in advance.
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

Tony,
thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.
Vince

Anna,
I'm very new to Linux, so I'm not the best person to ask. I will say, though, that my problem doesn't seem to be bound to a particular program. In fact, mine seems to be related to memory or processor usage. Possibly... In any case, your problem sounds different, and for that reason I would advise you to start your own post.
Good luck,
Vince

edited to add that I'm running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
annapereira

Post by annapereira »

Thx Vince. I'm a newbie myself too with Linux. Cinnamon as well.
Anyway, have searched around and gonna try some tips and if freezes happen again I'll start a post.
Thx again. Cheers! :)
Erwinvk

Post by Erwinvk »

I have almost the same issues on my self builded desktop PC,

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, 4.15.0-44-generic,

Motherboard ASUS Prime B350 M- a

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics × 4

Memory 8 Gb

Graphics on board Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega [Radeon Vega 8 Mobile]

Mouse freezes, when i us Spotify and Firefox browser ( youtube.com / facebook etc)

Only thing that solves is starting up the PC again, reset button.
My bluetooth adapter for sound still working on, while USB mouse freezes on every USB io i tried on.
Greatz Erwin
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

Hey everyone,
So, I believe I tracked the mouse/keyboard freezing problem to a defective RAM stick so, thank you, Eugenia! I've been running with one stick for about the past two weeks and have had no freezing. This past Tuesday I called Amazon, explained the problem and, not surprisingly, I got a pair of replacement sticks in the mail today (Thursday). We shall see how it goes but, I'm optimistic...
Again, thanks, Eugenia!
Vince
P.S. I'll report back in a week or two to let everyone know whether things are still okay...
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

So, it appears I jumped the gun here. I was convinced that one of the RAM sticks was defective, based on the fact that removing it stabilized the system--for about two weeks. But during that two weeks I was busy with work, as well as a much needed vacation, so actual seat time at the computer was limited. To make a long story short, the freezing problem returned. I contacted the seller of the motherboard and CPU and they agreed to swap them out with new parts. I installed the new parts this past Saturday and was fairly confident my troubles were behind me. Tonight, however, the mouse and keyboard froze twice, within about ten minutes...
At this point, I'm at a loss. The mouse and keyboard are both plugged directly into USB ports on the motherboard, which tells me the problem is either in whatever drives the ports (beyond my knowledge) or in Linux itself (also beyond me).
I'd appreciate any and all input on how to proceed forward.
Thanks,
Vince
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

Hello all,
I have to admit to being a bit let down - not so much with Linux as with the lack of support on the forums. While I've obviously gotten some support on this issue, as well as another requesting help with the installation of Sketchup, neither instance resulted in a resolution. Focusing on the issue in this thread, my mouse and keyboard are freezing, and since my last post, I've replaced the RAM with two new sticks. The problem, however, remains.
To reiterate, I now have a new motherboard, a new CPU, and new RAM, and still my mouse and keyboard are freezing.
Is there anybody out there with the know-how to diagnose this?
Any help really would be appreciated,
Vince
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

PartsAbuser wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:55 pm Hello all,
I have to admit to being a bit let down - not so much with Linux as with the lack of support on the forums.
We're all volunteers and we do the best we can.

There are several things you can try. First is, if it's not installed already, install htop to see if that shows the culprit. You can also check the output of the dmesg terminal command for errors, and the system logs, in particular the kernel (/var/log) and X11 logs. If you need to post output back here then enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Don't include all the output, just any error messages you think might be relevant.

We may also benefit from seeing the output of inxi -Fxz.

I'm sorry that you were advised to look at replacing the RAM. It seems you garnered replies from newcomers, which isn't a bad thing in itself, but when the more experienced people see that a thread is growing, we generally leave it alone, so that might explain the lack of responses from the regulars.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ams001

Post by ams001 »

Any chance you have vmware installed? I also get this freeze, and when I ssh into my workstation from elsewhere I find that vmnet is the cause.

dmesg tellingly shows:
[ 3815.804312] /dev/vmmon[4400]: PTSC: initialized at 3999996000 Hz using TSC, TSCs are synchronized.
[ 3815.972228] /dev/vmmon[4400]: Monitor IPI vector: ff
[ 3815.972229] /dev/vmmon[4400]: HV IPI vector: f2

And when I stop vmware services on my workstation remotely, everything springs back to life.
par

Post by par »

I was running Mate - Rosa17.1 on an Acer laptop and experienced the same thing. It was consistent for a long time and spent looking and correcting known and unknown issues, related, unrelated possibilities. I decided to have a closer look at at the Linux kernel as I had remembered there had been an update which I accepted via System Update on the task bar. This was long prior to the consistent problems I was having using firefox, keyboard, mouse freezing. Even google maps froze on me locked everything down on me and constantly had to do Cold reboots. Having said that I looked at the kernel update and surmised this was the issue as it coincided as I could recall to the problems beginning. so I reverted and selected to previous firmware. PROBLEM SOLVED !
par

Post by par »

To your other question you can right-click on the task bar and choose Force Quit a problem application.
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. I've been busy with work lately, more so than usual so...
Anyway, Catweazel, I really am new to Linux, which means I'm not sure how to implement any of your suggestions. I am, however, willing to take direction so, which of the suggestions you posed would you try first? And if you wouldn't mind, could you walk me through it?

AMS, unless vmware was pre-installed on this version of Linux, I don't have it.

par, my computer is a brand new build, and this version of Mint is the only operating system it's ever seen. In other words, I have nothing to compare it to...
As far as right clicking on anything, once the system freezes, that would be impossible.

What I really need is a way to log any errors that are causing the freezing, if that's possible.
Again, thank you for the responses.
Vince
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

PartsAbuser wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:50 am What I really need is a way to log any errors that are causing the freezing, if that's possible.
That's what I gave you, along with some terminal commands to see them.

Anyway, go into the software manager and install the latest version of the 4.18 kernel.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Mintcrash

Post by Mintcrash »

Hi, the common theme for random freezes seems to be an AMD Ryzen Raven Ridge APU. I had many freezes with my Athlon 200GE mostly while using firefox.

1. Check if your BIOS is udpated to support your CPU.

2. Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels (press Continue after the warning message)
Install the latest kernel of the 5.0 series. Then reboot.

3. Follow the instructions on https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID27 "Fix system freezing trouble with AMD Ryzen CPU's"
Updating the AMD firmware was the solution for me. The website is run by user Pjotr and has many useful tips for beginners.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

A couple of weeks ago my AMD Ryzen CPU running Mint 18.3, no dual boot,
started with the Mouse and Keyboard freezes.
Mintcrash recommends updating BIOS and kernel,
but how do I find the BIOS version?
And what is the Update Manager to find the kernel version?
Is it Synaptic Package Manager, or the Software Updater?
What does Update Manager - panel: View mean?

I would appreciate some help
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

All,
It's been a while since I've revisited this thread. I blame it on frustration - not with the community but with my lack of knowledge. Anyway, my system still freezes, but the frequency seems to have diminished significantly since updating to:

Host: Pancho Kernel: 5.3.0-61-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

In light of this, I'm convinced that, short of replacing something (processor, etc), I'm stuck with the occasional system freeze, which currently happens about every 4 hours of run time, on average. I can live with that, considering how trouble free it is otherwise.

Anyway, I'm reluctant to label this thread as solved since, technically, it isn't. I will label it as such, though, if given a nudge in that direction.
Cheers,
Vince

Return to “Hardware Support”