Stable, Dependable Bluetooth Adapter for Mint 19?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Stable, Dependable Bluetooth Adapter for Mint 19?

Post by SunWorks » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:38 am

Hi.
I'm using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 and it's 100% up to date.
I messed with a bluetooth USB adapter and some devices years ago in Mint, but it never was dependable. Got tired of things not connecting / working.

Would appreciate hearing what USB BT dongles Mint 19 users are having *solid* / dependable success with.

Thank you.
Clinton

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Stable, Dependable Bluetooth Adapter for Mint 19?

Post by catweazel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 pm

SunWorks wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:38 am
Would appreciate hearing what USB BT dongles Mint 19 users are having *solid* / dependable success with.
I bought a cheap dongle off fleabay and it simply works. I didn't have to install anything, just plugged it in. Now I run KDE connect and as soon as I walk into the house, my linux PC takes over all notifications from the phone, and file transfer between my machine and phone is an absolute breeze.

Link here
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Post by MrEen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 pm

I don't have the big bucks catweazel has, so I bought this cheapie on Amazon. It claimed to be for Windows only and specifically stated:
Not work with Mac OS, car stereo systems or TVs
Other than purging blueberry and installing blueman and pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, wasn't really any work to get my headphones working.

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:30 pm

catweazel wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 pm

I bought a cheap dongle off fleabay and it simply works. I didn't have to install anything, just plugged it in. Now I run KDE connect and as soon as I walk into the house, my linux PC takes over all notifications from the phone, and file transfer between my machine and phone is an absolute breeze.

Link here
Thanks. Am trying this one.

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 pm

MrEen wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 pm
... purging blueberry and installing blueman and pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, wasn't really any work to get my headphones working.
Thank you.
Did this and the built-in BT on a HP Elitebook laptop picked up audio from the TV which is pretty handy. Able to mute the TV and listen via laptop headphones.

Did not know that trick for Bluetooth.
Is it a "must-do" for Mint installations? or an option of first choise if the standard setup fails?

clinton

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Post by MrEen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:43 pm

SunWorks wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 pm
Did not know that trick for Bluetooth.
Is it a "must-do" for Mint installations? or an option of first choise if the standard setup fails?

clinton
I never had any experience with Bluetooth before this past Christmas. Got headphones and that adapter as presents and just scoured this forum when trying to get them to work. I would say they're pretty much must-do from what I've read, but I'd guess it somewhat depends on the hardware.

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:50 pm

Understood.
Thank you.

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Thank you for all your help.
I have three adapters and thought there were performance differences, but the more I use them the better *my* understanding how they work becomes.

About the only thing that really screws them up is having a microwave oven running nearby at the same time, but this is no surprise, considering the frequencies all being in the 2.4ghz spectrum.

I think they all work and am using the Cambridge Silicon Radio one while typing although initially it was my least favourite. but it's doing just fine atm.

Thx again everybody!

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly » Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 am

For USB dongles, I've only seen two chipsets the Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) and the Broadcom.

In my experiences, they are both unreliable in different ways.

I've found the Broadcom-based dongles to be not worth using. The initial connection works well. For audio, I've found the range to be very short, like less than 10 feet. And audio eventually gets out of sync, or drops often. With the Xbox One S controller, using the xpadneo driver, the controller connects easily, but randomly disconnects, and often gets stuck in the rumbling state. So the Broadcom is a very frustrating experience and I gave up on using these dongles.

The CSR-based dongles seem to perform poorly on the initial connection, but work very well once connected. For audio, I find it takes a long time to connect and play audio. Blueberry will show that it is connected, but I can't get audio playback for about a minute. Eventually, it will start playing audio and works great. Good range. No drops. Audio stays in sync. With the Xbox One S controller, using the xpadneo driver, I have connection issues. In bluetoothctl the status for the gamepad will continually switch from connected to disconnected over and over. I can usually work around this by issuing the connect command multiple times. However, once the gamepad finally connects it works perfectly. I brought the issue up with the developer of the xpadneo driver and he discovered there is an issue with CSR chipsets, which you can read about here: https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo/issues/96

tl;dr:
Both chipsets have problems. But I think CSR-based dongles are the much better choice.

Return to “Hardware Support”