Canon Pixma MX300 scanner in Gloria [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eesaurus

Re: Canon Pixma MX300 scanner in Gloria

Post by Eesaurus »

Now terminal says nothing, when i give this:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/bus/usb/001/006

And Xsane finds nothing...

EDIT: Xsane gives these possible reasons why it doesn't find anything:
Husse

Post by Husse »

To be sure - have you tried this?
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Husse wrote:To be sure - have you tried this?
Yes i have. No changes... :?:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ouch - I'm out of suggestions for now
Have to come back later
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Husse wrote:Ouch - I'm out of suggestions for now
I just wonder why this Canon model is ranked in "works perfectly in Linux" category in the OpenPrinting web site? Or maybe i've missed some really basic thing in this operation to get the scanner working... Let's see. Usb -cabel is connected, because i can print. Both machines, the pc and the printer are on, because i can print. :D Other than that i'm not sure of everything. Well, i'm sure that i have Xsane- and sane -named programs in my system.
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Eesaurus wrote:Well, i'm sure that i have Xsane- and sane -named programs in my system.
What about sane-backend or something like that? I've read somewhere about that, but didn't understand that much of it. If i have sane, do i automatically have sane-backend also? And if i do, should i do something about it, configure it or put it in some exact place in my system etc...? Sorry, i'm just tumbling in the dark... :roll:
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Up.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you have SANE you might have SANE backend which basically is the driver
This brings the question - have you installed any driver? (for the scanner)
The Open Printing database only talks about the printer part of multifunction devices
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Husse wrote:If you have SANE you might have SANE backend which basically is the driver
This brings the question - have you installed any driver? (for the scanner)
The Open Printing database only talks about the printer part of multifunction devices
I think i have Sane, because when i did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install sane
terminal said i allready have it. And i do have sane-backends -named folder in my home directory. Though i have no clue what to do with it.

No, i haven't installed any driver for the scanner, didn't know it was necessary. I just figured that one machine, one driver. Silly me... :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I made the same mistake with my Brother multifunction
I think you have what's necessary for the rest in this topic
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Hmmm, but nothing's changed even if i do have sane and sane-backend etc... I tried every code mentioned in this topic, no scanner. Then i put my tv card back (don't ask why, i'm desperate...) to it's place and tried everything again, and now 'scanimage -L' and Xsane finds something, surprise, they find my Asus tv card. But no scanner...

I'm beginning to think this is operation impossible. I wonder if the shop would take the damn machine back.

What about that link in my first post in this chain? That "Give your scanner a new fresh SANE installation ..." -thing...?

I hate to tease you guys with this...again and again...but i don't know what else to do.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please take a look here
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Husse wrote:Please take a look here
My brain is kind of jammed at the moment with this scanner -thing. Can't think straight... I guess i should take a break, breath deep couple of days and get back to it when i'm cooled down. :) I'll then read that article again.

Still, if someone has a 'straight to the point' -answer to this, i'm very pleased.
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

I've had help with this case in the Finnish Ubuntu -forum also, but no luck. The lack of the usb -rights (permissions or something like that) was the best guess there. No solution for that one though.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sad - it's the permissions for USB one way or the other no doubt
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Good news, kind of. I tried MX300 with the Ubuntu 9.10 live-cd, and everything, scanner too worked like a charm straight away. So, i'm going to use the live-cd with my scannings until things get better with Mint too. No energy and interest to hassle with this anymore.

I'm going to peek in this topic now and then though, just in case.

Thanks anyway!
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

I have Mint 8 now and my Pixma MX300's scanner works fine with it (of course), so this case is closed.
Husse

Re: Canon Pixma MX300 scanner in Gloria [SOLVED]

Post by Husse »

Yes scanners is one thing that was supposed to work better with the newer kernels

Return to “Hardware Support”