MSI GF 63 8RC - linux mint cinnamon freezes

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
warrior1981

MSI GF 63 8RC - linux mint cinnamon freezes

Post by warrior1981 »

Hi everyone!

I have al aptop MSI GF63 8RC: i7 Coffee Lake, 1050 4 GB DDR5, 16 DDR4 RAM, 4 TB SSD

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GF63- ... 606.0.html
I purchased a SATA samsung ssd 860 pro (with little red square) to replace its mechanical HDD (no, it didnt malfunction, i just wanted better)

i downloadede a mint 19.1 cinnamon iso, burned it, and used a USB to install it...which, being a ssd, went very very fast!
but, at the end of installation, when it asks for a reboot...it froze!

so this is a fresh install of mint 19.1 Cinammon x64 version !

after succesfully installing, i logged on with no problem, but when, as root, i do one of the following commands:

Code: Select all

init 3

init 6

init 0
the laptop freezes!
This freeze does not occur if i log into mint with the recovery options and drop to init 3 (command line), bypassing the graphical interface alltogheter!

This lead me to believe its something to do with the graphical server...but i am clueless as how to solve it!

i even installed kernel 4.18.5 instead of the 4.15 standard (this 4.15 is the one Mint 19.1 comes with!)...but still no luck!

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: MSI GF 63 8RC - linux mint cinnamon freezes

Post by kato181 »

warrior1981 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:42 am Hi everyone!

I have al aptop MSI GF63 8RC: i7 Coffee Lake, 1050 4 GB DDR5, 16 DDR4 RAM, 4 TB SSD

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GF63- ... 606.0.html
I purchased a SATA samsung ssd 860 pro (with little red square) to replace its mechanical HDD (no, it didnt malfunction, i just wanted better)

i downloadede a mint 19.1 cinnamon iso, burned it, and used a USB to install it...which, being a ssd, went very very fast!
but, at the end of installation, when it asks for a reboot...it froze!

so this is a fresh install of mint 19.1 Cinammon x64 version !

after succesfully installing, i logged on with no problem, but when, as root, i do one of the following commands:

Code: Select all

init 3

init 6

init 0
the laptop freezes!
This freeze does not occur if i log into mint with the recovery options and drop to init 3 (command line), bypassing the graphical interface alltogheter!

This lead me to believe its something to do with the graphical server...but i am clueless as how to solve it!

i even installed kernel 4.18.5 instead of the 4.15 standard (this 4.15 is the one Mint 19.1 comes with!)...but still no luck!

Any ideas?
When it asks for a reboot did you leave the usb stick in or did you remove it before mint asked you to? Why i'm asking this is because when mint finishes installing and asks you to reboot, it will also ask you to remove the bootable usb before it will continue. It may have corrupted the installation. You might try reinstalling to see it it fixes the problem.
zacman

Re: MSI GF 63 8RC - linux mint cinnamon freezes

Post by zacman »

in the boot menu pres e to edit the grub of the mint
after quite splash type
nomodeset
quite splash nomodeset
this will open your mint os without graphics
then install the nvidia driver from the driver manager
reboot and try booting as normal
this might solve your issue good luck

Return to “Hardware Support”