bdoe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Record Vinyl

Post by bdoe »

borgward wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:53 pm
I do not have a "line in" on my laptop

I did Turntable -> phono-preamp (in regular stereo amp/preamp) -> stereo's line out -> mic in. I suppose that's the problem. mic in instead of line in.
That is exactly the problem. A mic-in jack is expecting a low-level signal, not a line-level signal. Therefore, feeding it a line-level signal will result in distortion from being overdriven. Also, don't make the mistake of feeding it a phono-level (ie. directly from the turntable before going through a pre-amp stage). Your sound card won't apply the necessary RIAA equalization needed on a phono-level signal and it will sound really wrong.
bdoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bdoe »

Has anyone tried USB recording? I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP120USB turntable that has a USB output. Is there any software I need beyond Audacity that will capture the USB output on Mint 19.1? Will it even work?
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

No personal experience with a USB turntable, but no, as a matter of design you shouldn't need anything else.

Getting ever more integrated here. What's needed is, A, a turntable, B, a phono preamp and, C, an ADC with line input. Thread starter has separate A and B, would need separate C to complete the setup. What was then suggested was combined B and C, interesting at least, and you're now inquiring after combined A, B and C.

In any case C will as to the software interface just be a USB "soundcard" as far as the computer is concerned. In the integrated scenario's one without outputs, but still otherwise fully generic with little possibility to not Just Work. That is, just plug it in and see if you now have an additional USB soundcard with an input. If yes, select it in Audacity and record away.

I'll respam that useful Audacity link from early in the thread: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sam ... ation.html
Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust »

Sorry to hear that people are having problems with Audacity .

I'm on a long-term project to put all of my vinyl collection on hard disc
This method has worked fine for me , but I have to say that I've been rather lucky with Mint , and GNU/Linux in general
.... everything just works !

Turntable is connected to pre-amp , then the signal is taken from "tape out" sockets and fed to
the mic/line input of a laptop ; it should be nominally 500 mV peak ( same as "line out " ? )
The signal level in Audacity needed adjusting to 0.22 , on a scale of zero to one .
In the top center of the Audacity GUI there are two microphone symbols and the lower one adjusts
the input sensitivity .
Clicking on the upper one enables signal monitoring prior to starting the recording .
The results are then exported as FLAC files and they sound stunningly good .

I hope some of this may help .
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Flemur wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:54 pm
rene wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:12 pm
Flemur wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:00 pm
This kind of stuff is pure nonsense, they all sound the same:
Even if that were true of A/D converters (which it isn't: even same-specced A/D converters convert whichever noisy signal they're fed)
Descriptions of the sound of audio equipment are always nonsense unless they do ABX or blind testing, which they rarely do...because almost everything except speakers and headphones sounds the same, a fact which advertisers of expensive equipment do not like....
You forgot to mentjon that they don't listen AT MATCHED LEVELS, ie. less than 0.2dB difference. As mentioned, virtually all subjectivist tests are worthless for these reasons.

Here's something every sound engineer knows: at least 90% of your sound quality comes from the source (which usually means the mic quality, which usually isn't that great), the speakers or headphones, and the interaction between the speakers and the room if not headphones.

Of course, it's important to get a good clean signal from the source, and I wouldn't say they all sound alike. But this is actually very mature tech now and it's not hard to get a good DAC for little money these days. My sub $50 Behringer is better than at least 95% of my recordings.
Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust »

This thread from 2017 is well worth reading for anyone interested in high quality ( digital ) audio

Steps towards a near-audiophile, bit-perfect Linux audio setup
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=253225
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .
borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward »

The Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface was finally delivered. Connected ti to GE 23292 Pre-Amplifier and the USB port of my laptop. Connected computer speakers to the Behringer unit so I could monitor the vinyl. Could not monitor while recording using Audacity (with out a lot of trouble, and then there is the latency problem). I used Audio Recorder with Gnome Alsa Mixer and Volume Control. That allowed me to record each track individually. I burned a CD and the sound was great. I have a few records that are just not available on vinyl or CD, so this beats putting more wear on them.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Flemur wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:00 pm
Descriptions of the sound of audio equipment are always nonsense unless they do ABX or blind testing, which they rarely do...because almost everything except speakers and headphones sounds the same, a fact which advertisers of expensive equipment do not like.
I'm going with Flemur on this one. James Randi, noted sceptic, had his 1 million dollar challenge. He would pay anyone 1 million US dollars to anyone who could show paranormal ability under agreed-upon scientific testing.

Here's a good example:
Tech journalist Lee Hutchinson approached the JREF after writing an article for Ars Technica about directional Ethernet cables that claim to "keep your audio signal completely free of electromagnetic interference". At the 2015 Amazing Meeting, the MDC set up a controlled double-blind demonstration with volunteers listening to two identical recordings with a randomly selected Ethernet cable, a normal one or the cable claiming to improve the listening experience. After seven volunteers (1 hit, 1 miss and 5 hearing no difference), the demonstration was ended as they were unable to select the "enhanced" cable over the common cable enough times to satisfy the testing protocols.
In other words, in any test you really get nothing better than what probability demands -- 50%. Flip a coin 100 times; you will be close to 50% on either heads or tails happening. This is why blind testing, in any venue, is unwelcome by the manufacturers of the expensive stuff. In California, there was a blind wine tasting event with some of the entrants having bottles in the $100+ range. The winner? Charles Shaw -- $5 bottle. Hearing or tasting, it's all the same. Don't waste your money.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:13 pm
I'm going with Flemur on this one.
Flemur completely missed the point; was commenting on a review of analogue technology (a phono preamp) as if it were about digital technology (an ADC). Claiming all analogue technology sound the same is about as ludicrous as it gets.

Your own reply moreover misses the eventually largely same: paranormal bull nor cable bull has anything to do with phono preamps. That existence of bull doesn't automatically mean necessarily everything is; that we don't live in a binary world where either everything or nothing is true/false. As is, even if I say so myself, somewhat well put in the specific context of analogue versus digital technology...
Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Finally something I can help with!
I have been converting vinyl to digital for over 2 decades. Each new step gave me an improvement.
1. Good quality turntable set up. Less than $1,000 is a serious compromise.
2. Good quality preamp. (as 1).
3. A 2 channel 'analogue to digital converter'. I still use Roland products. They are built for reliability. They also have mike and instrument inputs.
4. Set the A2D converter to 24 bit at the highest possible KHz, these days usually 192KHz.
5. Import into Audacity (I have always used Sound Forge but am currently learning Audacity).
6. Noise reduction, click removable, rumble removal, normalize are all plugins worth investigating however the biggest lesson is to use them all sparingly!

Cheers,
petelinu
EVERYDAY Dual-boot Win7+Cinnamon 20 Thinkpad T440p#2: dual core i5-4300, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward »

I bought a used Tecnics SL-D20 turntale, $3. Already had a Pickering P mount cartridge and Stylus. Already had the GE Phono Pre-Amp from years ago. The $29 Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 USB Audio Interface worked fine. Used Gnome Alsa mixer and Audio Recorder to record the Vinyl. I could not detect any difference between playing the vinyl and playing the CD that resulted.

I am sure there would be on some very high end equipment. I am a working musician and can not afford $1000 for a turntable, more $$ for the next high end stuff. I doubt I would have got a better bang for the buck paying another $100 for the "better" Behringer interface. The set up did not suck. Musicians often use recordings to learn material. I can barely read music. Try finding sheet music for Jimi Hendrix. There is some out there, but it is just an approximation.

To sum it up I am happy with what I got, and I would recommend the UCA-222 to anybody that wants to save some wear on their old worn records. It will sound as good as playing the vinyl. If you need to copy something at a professional studio level you will need to invest in better hardware.
I recorded each track separately. What is the usual way to go about recording vinyl? Do each track separately or record all tracks and then break them up afterwards?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

borgward wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm
I could not detect any difference between playing the vinyl and playing the CD that resulted.
I recorded each track separately. What is the usual way to go about recording vinyl? Do each track separately or record all tracks and then break them up afterwards?
If you could detect the difference then you've done summat wrong, Unless, of course you managed some click and pop removal. And some EQ to remove the hiss.

However you choose to record, it is up to you. I generally just let the whole album go, and split it afterwards. Others are likely to do it the other way.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
hattpa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hattpa »

FWIW, coming in a little late on this discussion, I have recorded vinyl via the amp headphone connection to my laptop and used audacity, works a charm.

I tend to be lazy and let the whole side record, then edit it into separate tacks, again using audacity

I tend to save as flac and if required for the car, convert using soundconverter (my car will only play mp3 :( )
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain

Return to “Hardware Support”