Can I use my sdcard to extend my laptops memory?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ad0be
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use my sdcard to extend my laptops memory?

Post by ad0be » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:15 pm

I have a small Asus laptop that handles Linux mint quite nicely. I have tried many distros of Linux on this laptop and this is by far the smoothest running one yet. Unfortunately, this laptop has very minimal storage. I'm down to 5 gigs left and have hardly had time to create files or download anything that takes up that much space. Essentially, all my used space is the OS. So, I would like to extend this memory to a 64GB sdcard. Would this maybe speed up my computer by freeing up some space on the physical drive? Is this even possible? I'm not a complete n00b but I am at the start of this "linux journey" :lol:

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Can I use my sdcard to extend my laptops memory?

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm

It's important to know and use the correct terms for your hardware.

'Memory' refers to the machine's RAM which is wired to the address and data buses of the processor. Your SD card can't help with that.

You probably meant to say 'Storage', which is where your OS and home folder are kept. An SD card certainly can be patched 'on top' of one or more folders of the running OS. The Accessory Disks has enough tools to format the SD card and arrange to auto-mount it over, for example, your /root folder. Then you move 'finished' data into the folder /root/ where it's on the slow-and-removable store.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

lordmax
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lordmax » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:40 pm

Yes you can use an sd card to make another disk so have more space for your files.

I didn't think this can speed up your pc

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi, Mute Ant.

Talking about being precise, let me clarify that /root is the home directory of user root. Moving directory /root will not free up much space on the root filesystem / and is not worth the hassle of moving it.
Depending on the size of the /home directory tree, /home might be a candidate for moving it to the sdcard.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 am

I use /root because it's always part of the OS and not really used for anything else. If the SD is unmountable the OS starts up anyway. /var/tmp is an alternative mount point. If the OS is installed and working, I would leave it purring along and just patch in extra storage for user data. You can easily make symbolic links to folders in the SD card, which I think is more robust than mounting the might-not-be-available SD card volume on top of /home.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

ad0be
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ad0be » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Mute Ant wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm
It's important to know and use the correct terms for your hardware.

'Memory' refers to the machine's RAM which is wired to the address and data buses of the processor. Your SD card can't help with that.

You probably meant to say 'Storage', which is where your OS and home folder are kept. An SD card certainly can be patched 'on top' of one or more folders of the running OS. The Accessory Disks has enough tools to format the SD card and arrange to auto-mount it over, for example, your /root folder. Then you move 'finished' data into the folder /root/ where it's on the slow-and-removable store.
Thanks Mute Ant for the clarification on memory and storage. Still learning everyday.....
You said slow-and-removable store....is it too slow to properly handle program files. Let's say I download software and I extract the archive to the sdcard. how would this work out? too slow? I don't have much room to install software as it stands now.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Curiosity! which model of Asus netbook do you have?
I have an Eee1001PC with a single core atom n470 processor 2GB ram and a 300GB SSD that is quite happy with LM 18.3 Cinnamon 64. I did try XFCE 19.1 -64 on it but I found that the cinnamon was much smoother. It is a bit slower than a quad core i5 ( :D :lol: ) but it does everything possible with the exception of the small screen :cry: For extra storage I use an external 1 TB drive with a USB cord.

Return to “Hardware Support”