Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AlchemistOfLife
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19: battery drains in SUSPEND mode

Post by AlchemistOfLife » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Greetings; absolute newbie here using dual Windows 10/ Mint 19 on Lenovo Yoga 920. Since upgrading to Mint 19, my battery is drained in less than 24 hours unless I totally shut down from Linux (this does not appear to happen under Windows, although I have disabled the Hibernate function as required for dual install).
I would be most grateful for any INTELLIGIBLE help for a TOTAL newbie.
Thanks!

lordmax
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 19: battery drains in SUSPEND mode

Post by lordmax » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:49 pm

HI,

Just two question

Before MINT19 you're using 18 right? And the battery when in suspend mode where drained less or similar to windows right?

And in windows when you suspend how about the battery?

AlchemistOfLife
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AlchemistOfLife » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:38 am

hello. Apologies for VERY delayed follow-up. I am still faced with this problem and i end up using Windows most of the time (too bad Linux!).
I cannot remember if I had the same problem in Mint 18....
But in Windows, my computer can stay asleep a full week and awaken with near full battery charge.
Thanks.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 am

Don't confuse ordinary suspend (suspend-to-ram) with hibernation (suspend-to-disk). The latter consumes of course much less electricity than the former.

If hibernation doesn't work well (or at all) on your machine, just shut the bloody thing down. And configure your laptop to do a full shutdown upon ramming down the lid.

That's what I do: with the fast boot times we have nowadays, I don't see the need for hibernation anyway. Bonus: a full shutdown ensures optimal data integrity. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 am
Don't confuse ordinary suspend (suspend-to-ram) with hibernation (suspend-to-disk). The latter consumes of course much less electricity than the former.

If hibernation doesn't work well (or at all) on your machine, just shut the bloody thing down. And configure your laptop to do a full shutdown upon ramming down the lid.

That's what I do: with the fast boot times we have nowadays, I don't see the need for hibernation anyway. Bonus: a full shutdown ensures optimal data integrity. :mrgreen:
I too have totally given up on any 'suspend' type operation.
none of them work

I fully shut the pc down, and restart it when I need it.

the only exception is my laptops, I have them set to "Ignore" everything when the lid is closed. Open the lid and all is well, continue on from where I was.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Lenovo Yoga proprietary raid setup may be the problem.

Read about it, starting in 2016

Most who want to also run Linux on a Yoga computer, run the BIOS update that changes the RAID in it, to the AHCI method.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... x-enabled/

You can bing or google "Signature Edition" and Lenovo Yoga and get quite a bit of historical information about that controversy, involving Lenovo and Microsoft conspiring together.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Hardware Support”