Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Your experience with cheap SSDs

Post by Dot_mdb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 am

I am interesting in hearing about experience with inexpensive solid state drives.

I currently have 6 SSDs. I have owned two Crucial MX500 drives the longest but these are not in the category that I am interested in. My other four drives are the inexpensive variety. They are 3 Crucial BX500, 120GB and one Adata SU800, 128GB.

I have the Adata drive the longest but it doesn't get much use. It is installed in a laptop and runs Windows 10. But the laptop is only used monthly to update Windows. So far no problems in about 10 months of operation.

One of the Crucial drives is used to store some backups and is stored off site. It gets one 7GB file deleted and one added each week and holds a total of three weekly backups at a time. That drive is about 2 or 3 months old and so far no problems. Its one partition is encrypted and the drive is used by attaching to a USB3 port. It has never been trimmed but there has been no increase in the time it takes to transfer the 7GB files.

Another of the Crucial drives is installed in an old HP laptop that still gets some use. It holds a Linux operating system but it has only been installed for about two months. So far it is working properly and speeds seem to be adequate for the older machine.

The third Crucial drive is installed in an Inateck drive enclosure. The drive holds a Mint Mate 19.1 operating system and is used to boot various machines. This is part of an experiment to substitute inexpensive SSD drives for flash drives. Only about a month's experience but so far the experience is good and speeds adequate.

I am interesting in hearing your experience, good and bad with the inexpensive drives. I think it would be informative if this thread remained active and people who posted came back with updates about successes and failures.

Bill

catweazel
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Your experience with cheap SSDs

Post by catweazel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 am

Dot_mdb wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 am
I have the Adata drive the longest but it doesn't get much use. It is installed in a laptop and runs Windows 10. But the laptop is only used monthly to update Windows.
Oh, so there is a use for that OS :)
Dot_mdb wrote: I am interesting in hearing your experience, good and bad with the inexpensive drives. I think it would be informative if this thread remained active and people who posted came back with updates about successes and failures.
Unfortunately not all SSDs are created equal. I had an expensive Samsung NVMe SSD die on me recently, which was under warranty but I couldn't claim on it because I'd ripped the label off so I could fit a heatsink. Oh, well. That said, my preference is to pay more for well-branded equipment because my assumption is I'm getting what I pay for.

There are essentially two major manufacturers of the chips used in SSDs, Hynix and Samsung. The cheaper brand SSDs likely have "low bin" chips in them, chips that fail to reach a certain level of performance. Again, I assume here that by paying more I'm not getting low bin chips.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Return to “Hardware Support”