systemd and old hardware (solved)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larjan
Level 1
Level 1

systemd and old hardware (solved)

Post by larjan »

I have been on linux for about 12yrs, about half of that with mint. I have 2 machines, one is about 2012 vintage with a 3rd gen i5 running mint 19.1 cinnamon. It runs it quite well with no issues. My other machine is a Q6600 quad core (yes I know, passed old). This one is running 17.3 cinnamon and is so stable as to be boring, nothing has gone wrong in several years. I installed 19.1 from the same media as the other machine and it runs okay, but is somewhat glitchy. Lots of small annoying and somewhat inconsistent things. I tried some other distros and found that everything with system d ran this way. I tried a few without system d, and they all ran fine. I would like to know if others have had similar experiences and if so found any solutions other than avoiding system d ? I really like mint but I will keep using my old machine till it dies (yes we're attached). And there is no way I know of to run mint without system d.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
larjan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: systemd and old hardware (solved)

Post by larjan »

Turns out I didn't have a systemD problem, I had a WD (hdd) problem. My newest hdd died in a way I have not seen before. It appears the controller was working poorly as there seemed to be no mechanical problems. Replaced the hdd and 19.1 is running flawlessly.

Return to “Hardware Support”