Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Spring clean your computer

Post by sgtor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:01 am

Hey everyone

I was noticing my CPU temp was hovering around 60 and the fan churning around 3200RPM just to keep it around 60. The other day it did that just sitting idle. I knew it was time to clean the dust out of the heat sink and fans, partly because I knew I had neglected it for too long.

I just finished and ran the same programs I usually do and both core and socket max's are 43 and CPU fan has maxed to 1427RPM. Sitting idle the core stayed around 28.

So as you can see by those numbers it's totally worth doing if any of you aren't already.

I used to use canned air but the problem with that is you can freeze components if you hold the tiny straw too close to anything. I was going to buy some canned air to do this job but then it occurred to me to just use my shopvac with the blower feature. Then just switch the hose to suction and pick up any remaining dust in the computer. It works better than canned air IMO.

The best way to do it is outside if you can because you'll be blowing dust everywhere.

trytip
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Spring clean your computer

Post by trytip » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:16 am

yes i have to do the same and is good practice. i usually base my cleaning by my gpu fanspeed. i have a conky on the desktop telling me it's temperature. when the gpu hits around 47C on idle i also take out my tower and use my vacuum to blow out all the air. you have to be careful if you use a car shop compressor to blow out the dust.

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am

I am fortunate to have an air compressor in the garage to use when blowing out the PC. Keep in mind to find a way to hold the fan blades from spinning 100k rpms as they are not designed to run that fast. I cleaned a neighbors computer once and didn't wear a face mask, I won't do that again. There was a dust cloud that filled the garage.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:43 pm

trytip wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:16 am
when the gpu hits around 47C on idle i also take out my tower and use my vacuum to blow out all the air.
I think your way is better than mine, waiting for 60C is way too long. :lol:

sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:46 pm

HaveaMint wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am
Keep in mind to find a way to hold the fan blades from spinning 100k rpms as they are not designed to run that fast.
That's a really good point. I didn't even think of that.
Using a long twist tie through the fan then tying it around the base to hold it in place would work well.

Return to “Hardware Support”