Hello everyone,

I wanted to produce some music on linux, so here are my specs:

Kernel: 4.15.0-48-lowlatency
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Memory: 16GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 860
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Motherboard: Asrok 970M Pro3
Audio Interface: Steinberg-Yamaha UR22 (USB 2.0)
WIFI: TP-Link, Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx

I installed qjackctl and I set it up to 128-sample-per frame, 2 buffers, 48kHz.

When my audio interface is connected to USB 2.0 I get many many xruns while reproducing sound or recording. Connecting it to an USB 3.0 port helps a lot but I still get occasional audible xruns. I tried disabling wifi and even disconnecting all USB peripherals except for the mouse without success.

However I did the same experiment booting windows 10 on the same exact machine and same exact recording software and I can set asio drivers as low as 48 sample buffers without having audible dropouts, even when connected to USB 2.0.

So I installed the same Linux mint and kernel on an old lenovo W510, same audio interface, still on USB 2.0 port and I can set QJackctl all the way down to 64-samples-per-frame and 2 buffers without ever having xruns (neither audible nor measured by the software).

Here is the output of lsusb (at the moment the audio interface is connected to USB 2.0):

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C Dual USB-UART/FIFO IC
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a40:0201 Terminus Technology Inc. FE 2.1 7-port Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 0499:1509 Yamaha Corp.
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Any idea of what may cause the problem on my specific machine, and in particular, why the problem does not appear on windows with the same exact machine?

Thank you all very much

MrEen
Level 12
Level 12

Re: USB Audio Interface JACK Xruns on Linux but not on Windows

Post by MrEen » Mon May 13, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi vittopascu.

I suck at helping with JACK! But maybe I can add something that might help lead to a solution.

Are you playing along with another audio file? Is it also 48000Hz? If not, that might be one of the causes.
Does your audio driver share an IRQ with something else?
Don't know if this is still relevant, but is your processor running in Performance mode? If not, that might be a cause for Xruns.

Here are a few links that may help:

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/is-it-re ... s/88159/14
https://kx.studio/Documentation:Manual:latency
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=203658
http://www.manual.ardour.org/setting-up ... tal-audio/
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=xruns

Good luck. And please let us know if you get this figured out and how.

vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu » Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 am

Hello,

thank you for your reply and sorry for my late reply :wink:

to answer your questions, what I do for testing this behaviour is first play a .wav file with VLC and I get xruns. Then I close VLC and any other playback that I am aware of (including web browser), open reaper or audacity and I start recording, after a while I always get one or two xruns, and they repeat in time randomly.

My processor is running in performance mode.

I am not sure whether the audio driver shares IRQs with something else (how can I check?). I did try to mess around with IRQ priorities by following some guides online with no success. Is there something I can do to help you help me? like post some terminal diagnostics?

Cheers,

MrEen
Level 12
Level 12

Post by MrEen » Fri May 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Well, cat /proc/interrupts will show what is using what IRQ-wise.

I think linuxmusicians.com might be a better source for troubleshooting this. There are more people there with the right experience. Everything I'd be throwing out there would just be total guesses.

There may be some here who can help much more than I can, but I don't think most of the people well skilled with JACK are on very regularly, if at all anymore. I know there are a few that at least have experience using it, but unsure how much assistance they could offer with your issue.

I do think this issue is mostly solvable. Just need the right help, and this isn't an area I've played in yet.

marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia » Sun May 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi vittopascu,

I do agree that linuxmusicians.com would be very helpful. I have linuxmint xfce 18.3. I followed this : https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration. Some of this may be outdated, I am not sure. The links given by MrEen to you are very good.

I use my ypg-235 yamaha midi keyboard and I am not getting xruns with my setup. I have a firewire soundcard fca202 setup with the
new firewire stack so my configuration would be different from yours. I do have the kxstudio repos installed and use cadence instead of
qjackctl, however they both are good. I find cadence to be easier for me. Hope you can get it working well soon.

Good fortune,

Marcia

vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu » Wed May 29, 2019 6:51 pm

Allright then, Thank you all for your help, I am off to LinuxMusicians :D

vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am

Just a short update on the matter. It turns out that, for some reason, my Steinberg UR22 audio interface was conflicting with my system. The problem only occurred on my desktop PC, not on my laptop, so probably the issue was very specific to my situation. I recently got an RME ADI-2 PRO FS interface, which is completely class compliant, and everything works fine now.

MrEen
Level 12
Level 12

Post by MrEen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Thanks for the update vittopascu. Hopefully this will help other users considering this device.

If you ever don't like the look your new device, you can send it to me! :lol:

Man those things are expensive! :shock:

vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vittopascu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:08 am

Yes it's expensive, but I use it for work so the price is justified. For me the noise floor (AKA Dynamic Range) is very important, because I use the ADC to measure low-noise preamplifiers that I build.

I got first a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre but the measured specs were not even close to what they advertise, I measured 101dBA Dynamic Range against the 119dBA specified, ridiculous. I could see in the spectrum analysis lots of harmonics above the noise floor, probably due to bad power supply design. I even measured it with input shortcircuit (best case for noise) and powered directly from my linearly-regulated laboratory power supply with no difference. Just a bad design.

With RME ADI-2 PRO instead I measure exactly 124dBA Dynamic Range @ 44.1kHz as specified. That is what you pay for, a company that delivers what they claim and does not cut corners. Also the fact that you have no software control panel is a plus, as those things never work in Linux. Everything can be controlled from the hardware itself.

One big thing is the crazy sampling frequency of 768kHz. Some people say it is useless and to an extent they are right, as you don't need it for either recording nor listening to audio material. However RME cards are widely used as professional audio measurement devices, and that is where you need that kind of sampling rate, in order to measure high frequency harmonic distorsion, interference and so on. Very very important.

Return to “Hardware Support”