The sound on my installation works fine, however, external microphones do not. I'm using a custom built gaming PC that was running Windows 7.
- The microphone/headset combo in question works on the Windows OS, not the Linux Mint.
- I have tried other microphones and have experienced the same issue.
- I have tried adjusting the sound input boost and while I can get rid of almost all the static enough still remains to be annoying.
- My mobo doesn't have any branded Linux drivers.
- My hardware is older, nothing new or cutting edge except for the GPU which is a GEFORCE GT 1030 (not trying to game on the 1030, it was for non-OS software compatibility - the same mentioned below).
- While I can get things to work with a USB adapter, unfortunately non-OS software requirements prevent me from using it as a solution.
- Downloaded PulseAudio following the instructions in another fix.
- Given my situation, and the above efforts/limits, is there generally anything else to be done except for trying a different motherboard?
- If trying a different motherboard is my only remaining option, does having branded (aka, Asus, or Gigabyte, etc) Linux drivers matter?
Edited: Added PulseAudio to list of things tried so far.
Code: Select all
System: Host: Name Redacted Kernel: 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A99FX PRO R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 04/07/2014 CPU: Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8350 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer L2 cache: 2048 KiB flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 64222 Speed: 2056 MHz min/max: 1400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1889 2: 2085 3: 1532 4: 2789 5: 1441 6: 1489 7: 1456 8: 1652 Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 418.56 bus ID: 01:00.0 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.56 direct render: Yes Audio: Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2 Device-2: NVIDIA GP108 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-50-generic Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK P8 series driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: c000 bus ID: 09:00.0 IF: enp9s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> Drives: Local Storage: total: 968.80 GiB used: 34.66 GiB (3.6%) ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SV300S37A120G size: 111.79 GiB ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Kingston model: SV300S37A120G size: 111.79 GiB ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD3000HLFS-75G6U1 size: 279.46 GiB ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000HHTZ-04N21V0 size: 465.76 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 109.53 GiB used: 34.66 GiB (31.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 15.9 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 32 C Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 gpu: nvidia fan: 45% Info: Processes: 254 Uptime: 10m Memory: 15.57 GiB used: 1.15 GiB (7.4%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.27