Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
IAmDarthMole
Level 1
Level 1

Re: External Microphone Distortion/Static Issues

Post by IAmDarthMole »

I'm terribly sorry for the delay in responding! I got sick over the weekend and have been dead to the world until yesterday. I followed the steps you sent over and sadly they didn't work. Please see the results below....

First Attempt:
1. Went into xed admin:///etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
2. Added options snd-hda-intel model=alc891-headset
3. Rebooted

Result: Didn't work. Didn't show a Port option for Headset, actually disabled the port option and then activated a separate option for headset. Only gave a static feedback on recording.

Second Attempt:
1. Went into xed admin:///etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
2. Changed options snd-hda-intel model=alc891-headset to options snd-hda-intel model=alc892-headset
3. Rebooted

Result: Didn't work. Showed Headset Port option. Only gave static feedback on recording.

Third Attempt:
1. Went into xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa (from previous instructions)
2. Removed load-module module-echo-cancel
3. Went into xed admin:///etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
4. Changed options snd-hda-intel model=alc892-headset back to options snd-hda-intel model=alc891-headset
5. Rebooted

Result: Didn't work. Showed Headset Port option. Only gave static feedback on recording.

Fourth Attempt:
1. Kept load-module module-echo-cancel removed from xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa
2. Went into xed admin:///etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
3. Changed options snd-hda-intel model=alc891-headset to options snd-hda-intel model=alc892-headset
4. Rebooted

The static feedback for all was a constant pattern that didn't change regardless of what words/sentences I used in my recording. Thanks again for all your help!
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Welcome back, IAmDarthMole. Hope you're feeling better!

Thanks for the very thorough listing of what you've tried, thanks very helpful. I'm running short on ideas now, but want to see one more output and have one question that may lead somewhere.

Now that there's a Headset option available, let's see the output of amixer again please.

Also, in your original post you mentioned this:
While I can get things to work with a USB adapter, unfortunately non-OS software requirements prevent me from using it as a solution.
If it's not too much trouble, could you expand on that a little?
Ricardo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ricardo »

Moderator warning: Don't follow this advice if you're using Cinnamon.

I have the same issue with Intel HD audio on an ASUS x299 deluxe. The solution: REMOVE PULSEAUDIO

sudo apt remove pulseaudio

After that it worked.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Ricardo wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:04 pm
I have the same issue with Intel HD audio on an ASUS x299 deluxe. The solution: REMOVE PULSEAUDIO

sudo apt remove pulseaudio

After that it worked.
And all Cinnamon users that do that will lose their Desktop Environment.

Return to “Hardware Support”