Mint on Raspberry 4

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jean-Philippe

Mint on Raspberry 4

Post by Jean-Philippe »

Hi all,
Le new Raspberry 4 can use has 4go (or 1 or 2), usb3, gigabit etc... and seems to be close a full pc, ideal for a linux distribution like mint IMHO.
I know that until now Mint was principally oriented desktop machines but do you now if that could change and if a raspi4 version could be possible ?
Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint on Raspberry 4

Post by jimallyn »

Raspberry Pis use an ARM processor, but Mint only runs on X86/AMD64 processors. Ubuntu, Debian, and probably others have an ARM version.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Jean-Philippe

Post by Jean-Philippe »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:20 am Raspberry Pis use an ARM processor, but Mint only runs on X86/AMD64 processors. Ubuntu, Debian, and probably others have an ARM version.
Yes. My question was about some changes in that situation. Ubuntu version for both arm and x86 exists so I was hoping that it could be the same with mint. When RPi was a pure development card, it was logic not to develop mint on it but now, with RPi4, we have a real pc for everyone. So Mint could to be a very good solution.
But I understand that it is probably expensive.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Jean-Philippe wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 amBut I understand that it is probably expensive.
In terms of developer hours, for sure.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Jean-Philippe

Post by Jean-Philippe »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:20 am
Jean-Philippe wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 amBut I understand that it is probably expensive.
In terms of developer hours, for sure.
But dream is always an option ;)

Return to “Hardware Support”