Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

I want to move my USB boot drive among many PCs

Post by mikecolley » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:28 pm

(Edited for clarification, no changes in the request. - Mike)

Hi Clem and All:

Subject says most of what I'm asking for. I want it all. I want a USB transportable, up-gradable Linux Mint Cinnamon on a USB drive I can use (not install) on all of my machines. One USB drive production usable carried from machine to machine and usable on many different machines. How do I make this happen?

I'm getting ready to new install Mint Cinnamon 19.1 as a USB portable production boot drive usable on any of my machines.

I will be carrying this USB boot drive around to and among many of my computers, a relatively new Dell XPS desktop, an HP Core2Duo 8730W laptop, an I7 HP 2540P laptop, an I7 HP 2570P laptop, and and maybe even the old old 2-CPU Dell desktop machine. I won't be installing this mint on any of the machines, rather I will be booting from USB and using this install on the machine. I'm spoiled, I would like to stick with 64 bit Mint Cinnamon.

Will this USB boot automatically boot like my 17.3 Mint Live Session Cinnamon that I use now on many machines? I have 256 Gig USB drive (flash) that works on many machines, but I can't upgrade this live session USB boot drive anymore so I think I'm forced to new-install v19.1. I started with LM12 or LM14 and kept upgrading it, but now it won't upgrade past LM17.3 because it is a live session.

This is for personal use, not a company, I'm not an IT guru but I do ok. I love having all my apps and work-arounds and everything no matter what machine I plug this USB drive into. (it makes backups easy too)

I want a USB transportable, up-gradeable Linux Mint Cinnamon on a flash drive I can use (not install) on all my machines. How do I make this happen?

or am I stuck with a 256 Gig LM 17.3 live session with huge 200+ Gig persistence which works GREAT by the way? I have used and upgraded this exact install for many years doing a disk-image as newer larger flash drives came out.

Even if you point me to another post or tutorial or HowTo, that is good with me.

Thank You for Cinnamon - Thank You for Cinnamon - Thank You for Cinnamon - ..............

Thanks all! - Mike
Last edited by mikecolley on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I want to move my USB boot drive among many PCs

Post by Lord Boltar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Once you make a 64bit Live/Install USB Thumb Drive it will stay that way until you reformat it, no matter how many machines you install it to - the machine has to be 64 bit compatible is all

Hope this helps
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Larry78723 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Lord Boltar, I believe he's looking to boot and run 19.1 Cinnamon from a persistent flash drive, not just install from it.

mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikecolley » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks for the response guys. What I am looking for is one drive I can move around to several machines, and use on several machines, but not to install on any of them. That way I have my system in my pocket as a flash drive wherever I go.

It might be a live session or it might be a full install on the drive in my pocket. I want to be able to move the drive around (USB) to several machines (not for install but for me to use) and also be able to update it. View my system not as a machine but rather my system as a flash drive I can plug into any machine and use it there.

Right now I have Mint Cinnamon 17.3 I can carry around in my pocket and boot it on many different machines without installing it on any of the machines, but I can't update it. That is why I want a USB that I can carry to many machines (for using, NOT for installing) and also be able to update it.

Thanks Guys! - Mike

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:52 pm

If you want to keep the 19.1 up to date then I think that the only way is to install it on a USB drive.
You then plug the USB drive into any computer & direct (via BIOS) the computer to boot from it.
You also need to ensure that any personal data changes are saved to it, rather than a disk on the computer.

The other way to do it is to make a bootable USB with persistence
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/c ... -with.html

However I am unsure if a device created this way is also subject to system updates as well as personal updates..
No doubt someone with more knowledge than me will be along to answer that soon..
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-64-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:57 pm

mikecolley wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 pm
Thanks for the response guys. What I am looking for is one drive I can move around to several machines, and use on several machines, but not to install on any of them. That way I have my system in my pocket as a flash drive wherever I go.

It might be a live session or it might be a full install on the drive in my pocket. I want to be able to move the drive around (USB) to several machines (not for install but for me to use) and also be able to update it. View my system not as a machine but rather my system as a flash drive I can plug into any machine and use it there.

Right now I have Mint Cinnamon 17.3 I can carry around in my pocket and boot it on many different machines without installing it on any of the machines, but I can't update it. That is why I want a USB that I can carry to many machines (for using, NOT for installing) and also be able to update it.

Thanks Guys! - Mike
Sound like you are using a Cinnamon 17.3 liveUSB now. Sounds like you want a full Cinnamon 19.1 installed on a USB so you can update the installation as you go. I would recommend that you install the most generic drivers to reduce chances of driver conflict.

I use a liveUSB for system diagnostic and rescue also. i find that full install or persistent Mint USB to be too sluggish compared to a live session.

RIH wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:52 pm
If you want to keep the 19.1 up to date then I think that the only way is to install it on a USB drive.
You then plug the USB drive into any computer & direct (via BIOS) the computer to boot from it.
You also need to ensure that any personal data changes are saved to it, rather than a disk on the computer.

The other way to do it is to make a bootable USB with persistence
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/c ... -with.html

However I am unsure if a device created this way is also subject to system updates as well as personal updates..
No doubt someone with more knowledge than me will be along to answer that soon..
Full install USB would be get system update as normal, which is a good thing. Not sure about persistent USB though, that is more like a liveUSB with storage.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikecolley » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Thanks RIH and athi

Hi Rih: That is what I do now and have been doing for years using Linux Live and I could do it again, but I wish for upgradability so I can keep all my linux tricks without having to re-install them when upgrading.

Hi athi: Sounds like a good idea to use the generic drivers, how do I accomplish (or force) that and when booting, will the correct driver/s be used?

Alternately, if I move the flash drive from one machine to another, how do I install the new drivers?

Thanks! - Mike

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:20 pm

This is why the liveUSB is so nice for this work, it is already configured to work on most PC. But since drivers are build into the kernel, you should be OK on most PC even if it have to reload drivers. Mint prefer to install the open sourced drivers for graphics and mouse/touchpad, which is what you want anyway and you should not change and install OEM drivers.

Network devices on the other hand is a crap shoot, especially wifi. Most ethernet works out of the box but there is a good chance that you will have problem with wifi, if they are not Intel based. I carry a known working wifi USB dongle as part of my kit, in case I cannot get any network device working.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:14 am

Your solution maybe by making a bootable external SSD or HDD drive. They are fairly reasonably priced. I did one SSD, it boots almost as fast as my internal SSD. HDD will be a lot slower.
The tutorial for this is viewtopic.php?f=42&t=287353.
I used the Hybrid method, it will boot either BOIS or UEFI. You will have to enter BIOS at boot and select it as first boot device on start up.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:14 am

farkas wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:14 am
Your solution maybe by making a bootable external SSD or HDD drive. They are fairly reasonably priced. I did one SSD, it boots almost as fast as my internal SSD. HDD will be a lot slower.
The tutorial for this is viewtopic.php?f=42&t=287353.
I used the Hybrid method, it will boot either BOIS or UEFI. You will have to enter BIOS at boot and select it as first boot device on start up.
They have USB3 M.2 enclosure that you can put M.2 NVMe SSD into. A bit larger than normal USB drive but very portable and very fast. Kind of pricey but sweet.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=m.2+enclosure

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:32 pm

mikecolley wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:28 pm
(Edited for clarification, no changes in the request. - Mike)

Hi Clem and All:

Subject says most of what I'm asking for. I want it all. I want a USB transportable, up-gradable Linux Mint Cinnamon on a USB drive I can use (not install) on all of my machines. One USB drive production usable carried from machine to machine and usable on many different machines. How do I make this happen?

I'm getting ready to new install Mint Cinnamon 19.1 as a USB portable production boot drive usable on any of my machines.

I will be carrying this USB boot drive around to and among many of my computers, a relatively new Dell XPS desktop, an HP Core2Duo 8730W laptop, an I7 HP 2540P laptop, an I7 HP 2570P laptop, and and maybe even the old old 2-CPU Dell desktop machine. I won't be installing this mint on any of the machines, rather I will be booting from USB and using this install on the machine. I'm spoiled, I would like to stick with 64 bit Mint Cinnamon.

Will this USB boot automatically boot like my 17.3 Mint Live Session Cinnamon that I use now on many machines? I have 256 Gig USB drive (flash) that works on many machines, but I can't upgrade this live session USB boot drive anymore so I think I'm forced to new-install v19.1. I started with LM12 or LM14 and kept upgrading it, but now it won't upgrade past LM17.3 because it is a live session.

This is for personal use, not a company, I'm not an IT guru but I do ok. I love having all my apps and work-arounds and everything no matter what machine I plug this USB drive into. (it makes backups easy too)

I want a USB transportable, up-gradeable Linux Mint Cinnamon on a flash drive I can use (not install) on all my machines. How do I make this happen?

or am I stuck with a 256 Gig LM 17.3 live session with huge 200+ Gig persistence which works GREAT by the way? I have used and upgraded this exact install for many years doing a disk-image as newer larger flash drives came out.

Even if you point me to another post or tutorial or HowTo, that is good with me.

Thank You for Cinnamon - Thank You for Cinnamon - Thank You for Cinnamon - ..............

Thanks all! - Mike
Think what you are looking for is called persistence - you can use MKUSB for that

Install MKUSB

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mkusb
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:33 pm

Larry78723 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 pm
Lord Boltar, I believe he's looking to boot and run 19.1 Cinnamon from a persistent flash drive, not just install from it.
Yep you are correct - my bad - I did post about MKUSB later

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:35 pm

Just checked Newegg for SSD prices, found one for $79.99, 500GB.
Comparable in price to a USB flash drive of the same size.
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital- ... 6820250120
The dimensions are 2.6"x3.7"x0.39", just a little over twice the size of a USB flash drive.
With a full install on the external SSD persistence problem shouldn't be an issue.
Just might get one for myself! :D
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.

mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikecolley » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:44 am

Note: I will say USB boot using Sandisk flash USB3 Ultra 256Gig is much faster than booting USB WD Easy Store USB3 spinning HD. I have been booting USB linux live sessions with persistence greater than 10 years now with various methods, but none of them allowed upgrades(but I did them anyway until LM17.3-->LM18 broke my upgrades). I will stay with Mint Cinnamon, and work out any problems it has, I'm a believer.

Now I have some serious reading to do. farkas referenced pbear's tutorials at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=287353 This looks like an excellent excellent multi-part tutorial. I hope it allows me to upgrade, I will find out soon after much reading, it is a big tutorial. Thank You farkas for the pointer and pbear for the tutorials!

I will mark this thread solved when I think I have found a solution that includes the ability to upgrade and move the USB3 boot drive between machines. There may be other solutions in the wings coming to this thread that haven't arrived yet so I give this thread some more time.

Thank you ALL and Thanks Clem! - Mike

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:50 pm

There is another option to consider - once you have your current Mint install all upgraded to how you like it - you can use Pinguy Builder to create a new ISO with all the current software and updates you have just done you can get it from the below website - I would also make sure your home folders are empty as well - no documents photos or videos those type of things because it uses ISO 9660 which has a 4GB limit.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinguy ... O_Builder/

For Mint 19.1 you want version 5.1-8

Then use MKUSB to create a persistent thumb drive which can get some updates except for Kernel and drivers - that is what I do and works really well

Return to “Hardware Support”