Serious PC Problems - Culprit LM 19.1 'Tessa' or 10-yr. old PC?!

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MintDude2013
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Forum:

First off, I'm not sure if this sub forum the right one to post this. If not, I apologize and would ask that you point me to the right forum. Many thanks.

I have a 10-year old PC, an HP Compaq 8000 Elite with a 3Ghz CPU, 6 Gb DDR3 RAM and a Gigabyte Nvidia GT630 graphics card. Also, all the HDDs are newer than say, 2013.

A few months ago I installed LM 19.1 'Tessa' and since then I've had serious problems (problems I haven't had with e.g. LM18):
- way too often the CPU load is near or exactly 100%, although I'm not running any programs that require gimongous CPU power (I can hear the CPU making a noise like it's working really, really hard)
- even when the CPU load is like between 15% and 20% I can hear the CPU making this noise
- in both cases the PC doesn't follow mouse clicks, no matter how many times I click or whether it's a webpage or a program I want to close, minimize or what have you
- usually it takes between 15 min. to 20 min for the CPU noise to die down and my machine obeying mouse clicks again (and this happens every day about 3 or 4 times).

Is LM19 perhaps a ravenous resource hog :wink: (compared to previous LM versions) and/or does LM19 require PCs to have UEFI capabilities? Would it make a difference if I put in more RAM?

Last, but not least, how can I sort folders and the contents of folders in the "Explorer" by 'Name', 'Date Modified', etc.?

Thanks so much.

John aka MintDude

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Serious PC Problems - Culprit LM 19.1 'Tessa' or 10-yr. old PC?!

Post by Moem »

Hello, can you please post the result of the following terminal command, and enclose it in [code] [/code] tags? That can be done by using the </> button that's above the textbox where you type your reply.
This is needed for pretty much any question about your system, so it's a good habit to post it straight away.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If you're having trouble doing this, let me know and I'll explain more.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

LM19 uses a bit more resources than LM18 but not in any way that much more it could cause the problems you have experienced. Newer isnt always better in LinuxMint. LM18.3 is considered to be more stable than LM19.1. as far as I have read.

Easiest way to find out if your hardware or LM19.1 is faulty, is to do a new install of LM18.3. If all your problems disappear, the new LM19.1 isnt very kind to your older hardware. In general the rule is that the newest Linux OS is NOT your safest bet for compatibility IF you are using older hardware, as you do.

For selecting different items in the Linux "explorer", you can click on the symbols in your top right corner. Settings for which kind of items can be selected, you can change by opening "Explorer", then clicking "edit" , /// "preferences" /// "list columns" or "edit" /// "preferences" /// " taskbar". You will see numerous options that you can adjust to your likings. Sorry English is not my native language, therefore some words might be pronounced differently.

Explorer in Windows is called Files or Nemo Files Manager in Linux. I think. I just press on the green folder thingy... :D

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

That sound you hear is most likely system and/or graphic card fans, this sounds like a heat issue, you cannot really tell CPU load from noise. The freezing is most likely from CPU or graphic card overheating. Does it make this same noise when you are running Windows?

HP 8000 Elite is a desktop, please open the case and check condition of the internal of PC, grills and fans. If it is coated with dust or have dust balls, carefully vacuum and/or blow the dirt from inside, power supply, grills, fans with canned air and see if this help.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

MintDude2013
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Moem, Carum Carvi and Athi:

Thanks a lot for your replies.

First off, here's the info you asked for:

System:
  Host: WorkStation Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT PC 
  v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3647h serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 
  v: 786G7 v01.02 date: 10/22/2009 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11970 
  Speed: 2993 MHz min/max: 1998/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2993 2: 2993 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 630] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 20:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVC1 v: 4.3 Mesa 18.2.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801JD/DO HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 20:00.1 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-54-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 2100 bus ID: 00:19.0 
  IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
  IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 4.80 TiB used: 3.04 TiB (63.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda model: WL750GSA3272B size: 698.64 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Hitachi model: HDS721010CLA332 size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Hitachi model: HUA722020ALA330 size: 1.82 TiB 
  ID-4: /dev/sdd type: USB vendor: Toshiba model: External USB 3.0 
  size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-5: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: Seagate model: ST500LM011 HM501II 
  size: 465.76 GiB 
  ID-6: /dev/sdg type: USB vendor: Generic model: Mini SD Reader 
  size: 29.72 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 62.67 GiB used: 22.77 GiB (36.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc6 
  ID-2: /home size: 18.21 GiB used: 12.38 GiB (68.0%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdc2 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 7.45 GiB used: 1.68 GiB (22.6%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdc5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 40 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nouveau fan: 114300 
Info:
  Processes: 236 Uptime: 8h 47m Memory: 5.75 GiB used: 3.99 GiB (69.3%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.27 
As for the noise the CPU makes, in the Taskbar I have an applet that tells me the CPU load. And before I installed LM19.1 on my computer I added another HDD and before that I carefully cleaned the interior with a vacuum and a brush. And in those nooks and crannies were neither could reach I blew away the dust in lieu of canned air (I didn't even know existed for such purposes :oops:). The graphics card doesn't have any fans, only a heat sink.

I haven't yet booted Win 10 to see if I encounter similar problems but will do so ASAP and let you know.

Last but not least, installing LM18.3 is probably a good idea :) (but not right now because I'm busy with other things - what usually takes time isn't installing the OS but setting things up to one's liking). Is it possible to install the 'Media Player' (that seems to be a new feature that came with LM19) in LM18.3?

Many thanks again!

John aka MintDude

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

I have had several of these HP 8000 Elite and they are good solid PC, had several that were setup almost like yours. But with Penryn 3Ghz (6Gb of ram and GeForce GT630 is reasonable), this PC would have a hard time with Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. Your temperatures looks OK, these cases do have decent ventilation. I would recommend a lighter DE like Mate and turn off some of the eye candy to lighten the load. Like carum carvi suggested, Mint 18.3 may help in your situation also.

Link to Pjotr excellent Mint tip & tricks blogl:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

Edit: FYI, I am turning all the core2duo PC into media servers, so these older PC still have a lot of life left in them yet.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

MintDude2013
Level 2
Level 2

Solved - Serious PC Problems - Culprit LM 19.1 'Tessa' or 10-yr. old PC?!

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Athi:

Many thanks for your reply.

Today, fate forced my hand :wink: and made me install LM18.3.

The dual boot loader that's necessary when someone has 2 OSs on their machine had somehow disappeared a while ago (meaning that when I fired up my PC it booted right into Linux). So, in order to see if Win 10 had the same problems as Linux I needed to fix the boot loader (with the Ubuntu Boot Repair Disk). But instead of fixing the the darn thing I got the cheery message that suddenly there weren't any operating systems to boot into :o.

Long story short, I ended up downloading and installing LM18.3 like Carum Carvi suggested. And voila, all the problems were gone :D (at least for now).

And CPU temps around 130F are probably OK?!

Many thanks again!

John aka MintDude

P.S. Using older PCs as long as possible is of course also good sustainable thinking :)! So, kudos to you for doing that.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Solved - Serious PC Problems - Culprit LM 19.1 'Tessa' or 10-yr. old PC?!

Post by athi »

MintDude2013 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 pm
Hi Athi:

Many thanks for your reply.

Today, fate forced my hand :wink: and made me install LM18.3.

The dual boot loader that's necessary when someone has 2 OSs on their machine had somehow disappeared a while ago (meaning that when I fired up my PC it booted right into Linux). So, in order to see if Win 10 had the same problems as Linux I needed to fix the boot loader (with the Ubuntu Boot Repair Disk). But instead of fixing the the darn thing I got the cheery message that suddenly there weren't any operating systems to boot into :o.

Long story short, I ended up downloading and installing LM18.3 like Carum Carvi suggested. And voila, all the problems were gone :D (at least for now).

And CPU temps around 130F are probably OK?!

Many thanks again!

John aka MintDude

P.S. Using older PCs as long as possible is of course also good sustainable thinking :)! So, kudos to you for doing that.
130F (54C for the rest of the world) is a bit high but nothing serious. Might be time to reapply the heat sink paste.

MintDude2013
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Athi:

About 130°F is at the high end, I later discovered. Most of the time the CPU temp is actually between 100°F and 120°F, which is probably OK. Would it be a good idea to reapply the heat sink paste, anyway?

Well, today I discovered that the dual boat loader isn't working :o, although it did yesterday. More to the point, I can only select LM18.3 but not Win 7.

Googling for a solution didn't get me anything useful and running the 'Ubuntu Boot Repair Disk' again didn't work (although in the past it used to work like a charm). The repair disk is about 10 years old, although I don't know if that matters.

Long story short, do you perhaps have an idea how to fix this?

Many thanks (and my apologies for keeping you busy with my PC problems)!

John aka MintDude

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Too bad your dual boot does not function Mintdude. But you might get better and more advice from different forummembers, if you post that dual boot problem in an entirely new message in the section "newbies". Newbies get lots of help on this forum.

I have no detailed advice for you concerning this dual boot problem. But good luck trying to solve it Mintdude.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

My take is--it's not your hardware becuase I run 19.1 on lesser specs without problems.
Not sure what the problem is--but that hardware will handle Mint 19. 1 no problem.
Boot back into your live media dvd/usb. Check the performance there.
Also boot to your install and create a new user in Users and Groups. Then log out and log back in
as the new user. New users get a fresh set of config files. Compare the operations and report your findings here.

JChristensen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JChristensen »

all41 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 pm
My take is--it's not your hardware becuase I run 19.1 on lesser specs without problems.
Agree. My daily driver has slightly older hardware and 19.1 runs just great:

CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 6600 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Core Merom rev: 6 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 9569 
  Speed: 1595 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1595 2: 1595 
If high CPU utilization is suspected, top or the System Monitor should provide a clue.
LM19.1 C64 on Dell Optiplex 745, HP dv6, dv7, h8; LM18.3 on HP 14-ck0xxx

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

MintDude2013 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 am
Hi Athi:

About 130°F is at the high end, I later discovered. Most of the time the CPU temp is actually between 100°F and 120°F, which is probably OK. Would it be a good idea to reapply the heat sink paste, anyway?

Well, today I discovered that the dual boat loader isn't working :o, although it did yesterday. More to the point, I can only select LM18.3 but not Win 7.

Googling for a solution didn't get me anything useful and running the 'Ubuntu Boot Repair Disk' again didn't work (although in the past it used to work like a charm). The repair disk is about 10 years old, although I don't know if that matters.

Long story short, do you perhaps have an idea how to fix this?

Many thanks (and my apologies for keeping you busy with my PC problems)!

John aka MintDude
130F max temperature is not too bad, reapplying heat sink paste would not be necessary.

For boot repair, you can use Boot-Repair utility. I install and run mine from the live session but you can also make a bootable disk with Boot-Repair already on it. Boot-Repair will most likely rename Mint to Ubuntu in the GRUB boot listing, so don't freak out if you only see Ubuntu and not Mint.

Link to Boot-Repair tutorial https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Edit: no apologies needed, this is what the forum is for.

MintDude2013
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi guys:

Again, many thanks for your input!

So, posting in 'Newbies' is probably the next step :).

As for booting LM18.3 with the USB install drive (Boot back into your live media DVD/USB. Check the performance there.), once its booted into 'Desktop, go to the Start Menu and open the System Monitor to check the readings), all System Monitor CPU load readings 0 or close to 0.

As for the Guest Session readings (after booting LM18.3 with the USB install/life drive and creating a 2nd user, logging out and after a reboot back in) and according to the System Monitor: 'web content' was between 14% and 19% and 'cinnamon' between 10% and 21% CPU load, all others were 0.

Also, between Thursday evening and today, Saturday afternoon, the PC kind of froze 6 times. And again, each time the mouse pointer worked just fine but nothing would else would react to the pointer clicks :?. Each time when the PC froze CPU temps were between 98°F (37°C) and 122°F (50°C).

And come to think about it, it seems as if the CPU load applet and the System Monitor can't quite agree on the CPU load. Almost always when I checked both there was a marked difference between the two (with the CPU load applet showing the higher readings).

Last but not least, when I booted LM18.3 with the install USB thumb drive at least once I noticed a couple of error messages, one of which read something like "Namespace Lookup Failure." Not sure, if that's important. I just thought, I'd mention it anyway.

I'm sorry, if some figures don't quite add up. During booting with USB install drive and hard drive I took oodles of notes very quickly. Annoyingly, that made it impossible put those notes into a coherent 'data sheet' .

John aka MintDude

P.S. Is it perhaps a good idea to create a USB boot repair drive instead of a DVD?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

MintDude2013 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:53 pm
Hi guys:

Again, many thanks for your input!

So, posting in 'Newbies' is probably the next step :).

As for booting LM18.3 with the USB install drive (Boot back into your live media DVD/USB. Check the performance there.), once its booted into 'Desktop, go to the Start Menu and open the System Monitor to check the readings), all System Monitor CPU load readings 0 or close to 0.

As for the Guest Session readings (after booting LM18.3 with the USB install/life drive and creating a 2nd user, logging out and after a reboot back in) and according to the System Monitor: 'web content' was between 14% and 19% and 'cinnamon' between 10% and 21% CPU load, all others were 0.

Also, between Thursday evening and today, Saturday afternoon, the PC kind of froze 6 times. And again, each time the mouse pointer worked just fine but nothing would else would react to the pointer clicks :?. Each time when the PC froze CPU temps were between 98°F (37°C) and 122°F (50°C).

And come to think about it, it seems as if the CPU load applet and the System Monitor can't quite agree on the CPU load. Almost always when I checked both there was a marked difference between the two (with the CPU load applet showing the higher readings).

Last but not least, when I booted LM18.3 with the install USB thumb drive at least once I noticed a couple of error messages, one of which read something like "Namespace Lookup Failure." Not sure, if that's important. I just thought, I'd mention it anyway.

I'm sorry, if some figures don't quite add up. During booting with USB install drive and hard drive I took oodles of notes very quickly. Annoyingly, that made it impossible put those notes into a coherent 'data sheet' .

John aka MintDude

P.S. Is it perhaps a good idea to create a USB boot repair drive instead of a DVD?
Do you remembered what operation you were doing when these 6 freezes (starting application, starting a new tab, watching video etc.) happened? There might be some common element there. I have run Mate 18.3 on a lot of core2duo desktops and laptops, 3-4Gb ram without freezing issues. This is with Mint 18.3, so time shift is not an issue. CPU temperature is not excessive. Not sure how System Monitor or load applet works, so cannot help with that question.

You can try running some memory and HDD test utilities. Ram and HDD failing could cause freeze up.

Edit: forgot question about media. Cannot see media type to make any difference. I almost never use DVD any more if I can use USB, but it is up to you.

MintDude2013
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Athi:

Again, many thanks for your reply.

As for hard drive tests, from the Software Manager I installed 'GSSmartControl' and ran tests on all HDDs, internal (4) and external (3).

Of all 7 HDDS, for some (for me at least strange) reason GSSmartControl couldn't check 3 drives, probably the external ones.

Annoyingly, GSSmartControl doesn't list the labels of the hard drives (like e.g. one of the external drives is an Intenso, so I named it such) :o. That would've helped me to tell you what's on the various drives (e.g. Windoze 7 or LM18.3).

Anyways, here are the results of the tests, GSSmartControl performed:

smartctl 6.5 2016-01-24 r4214 [x86_64-linux-4.15.0-54-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model: WL750GSA3272B
Serial Number: WOCL25001292729
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 25a626859
Firmware Version: 05.01D05
User Capacity: 750,156,374,016 bytes [750 GB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is: SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s
Local Time is: Sun Jul 7 12:56:33 2019 PDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: (0x80) Offline data collection activity
was never started.
Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status: ( 117) The previous self-test completed having
the read element of the test failed.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: (12660) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
Suspend Offline collection upon new
command.
Offline surface scan supported.
Self-test supported.
Conveyance Self-test supported.
Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
power-saving mode.
Supports SMART auto save timer.
Esmartctl 6.5 2016-01-24 r4214 [x86_64-linux-4.15.0-54-generic] (local build)

Device Model: WL750GSA3272B
Serial Number: WOCL25001292729
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 25a626859
Firmware Version: 05.01D05
User Capacity: 750,156,374,016 bytes [750 GB]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
Local Time is: Sun Jul 7 12:56:33 2019 PDT

General SMART Values:
was never started.
Self-test execution status: ( 117) The previous self-test completed having
the read element of the test failed.
data collection: (12660) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
command.
Self-test supported.
Conveyance Self-test supported.
power-saving mode.
Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 148) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 5) minutes.
SCT capabilities: (0x3037) SCT Status supported.
SCT Feature Control supported.
SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 200 200 051 Pre-fail Always - 2348
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 185 174 021 Pre-fail Always - 3708
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 098 098 000 Old_age Always - 2777
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 057 057 000 Old_age Always - 31741
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 098 098 000 Old_age Always - 2765
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 385
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 2391
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 112 106 000 Old_age Always - 35
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Short offline Completed: read failure 50% 31741 3438238
# 2 Short offline Completed: read failure 50% 31737 3435954

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN MIN_LBA MAX_LBA CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
1 0 0 Not_testing
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):rror logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 148) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 5) minutes.
SCT capabilities: (0x3037) SCT Status supported.

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 200 200 051 Pre-fail Always - 2348
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 185 174 021 Pre-fail Always - 3708
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 098 098 000 Old_age Always - 2777
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 057 057 000 Old_age Always - 31741
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 098 098 000 Old_age Always - 2765
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 385
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 2391
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 112 106 000 Old_age Always - 35
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0

No Errors Logged

1 0 0 Not_testing
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):

Model Family: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C
Device Model: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332
Serial Number: JP2940J82NAAHL
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000cca 396e56d3d
Firmware Version: JP4OA3FE
User Capacity: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Form Factor: 3.5 inches
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
Local Time is: Sun Jul 7 12:59:03 2019 PDT

General SMART Values:
was never started.
Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test routine completed
without error or no self-test has ever
been run.
data collection: ( 9929) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
command.
Self-test supported.
No Conveyance Self-test supported.
power-saving mode.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 1) minutes.
recommended polling time: ( 166) minutes.

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000b 100 100 016 Pre-fail Always - 65536
2 Throughput_Performance 0x0005 136 136 054 Pre-fail Offline - 95
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0007 148 148 024 Pre-fail Always - 251 (Average 260)
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0012 097 097 000 Old_age Always - 12259
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 005 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000b 100 100 067 Pre-fail Always - 0
8 Seek_Time_Performance 0x0005 138 138 020 Pre-fail Offline - 31
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 095 095 000 Old_age Always - 39012
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0013 100 100 060 Pre-fail Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 3501
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 090 090 000 Old_age Always - 12440
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0012 090 090 000 Old_age Always - 12440
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 193 193 000 Old_age Always - 31 (Min/Max 10/47)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0022 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0008 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x000a 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0

SMART Error Log Version: 0
No Errors Logged

# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 39012 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 39007 -
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 39007 -

1 0 0 Not_testing
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing
After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Model Family: Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000
Device Model: Hitachi HUA722020ALA330
Serial Number: JK11C1YAKJ6ZRV
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000cca 221f1a6b1
Firmware Version: JKAOA20N
User Capacity: 2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Form Factor: 3.5 inches
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
Local Time is: Sun Jul 7 13:01:09 2019 PDT

General SMART Values:
was never started.
Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test routine completed
without error or no self-test has ever
been run.
data collection: (22036) seconds.
Offline data collection
command.
Self-test supported.
power-saving mode.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 1) minutes.
recommended polling time: ( 367) minutes.
SCT capabilities: (0x003d) SCT Status supported.
SCT Error Recovery Control supported.

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000b 095 095 016 Pre-fail Always - 10
2 Throughput_Performance 0x0005 133 133 054 Pre-fail Offline - 102
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0007 185 185 024 Pre-fail Always - 382 (Average 401)
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 608
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 005 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000b 100 100 067 Pre-fail Always - 0
8 Seek_Time_Performance 0x0005 110 110 020 Pre-fail Offline - 40
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 094 094 000 Old_age Always - 47295
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0013 100 100 060 Pre-fail Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 356
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 625
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 625
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 166 166 000 Old_age Always - 36 (Min/Max 19/52)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0022 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0008 100 100 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x000a 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0

SMART Error Log Version: 0
No Errors Logged

# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 47295 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 47290 -
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 47290 -

1 0 0 Not_testing
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing

Device Model: ST500LM011 HM501II
Serial Number: S2AKJ9BC400606
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0004cf 207541c22
Firmware Version: 2AJ10001
User Capacity: 500,107,862,016 bytes [500 GB]
Rotation Rate: 5400 rpm
Form Factor: 2.5 inches
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 6
Local Time is: Sun Jul 7 13:05:30 2019 PDT

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: (0x00) Offline data collection activity
was never started.
Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status: ( 41) The self-test routine was interrupted
by the host with a hard or soft reset.
data collection: ( 6540) seconds.
Offline data collection
command.
Self-test supported.
power-saving mode.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 109) minutes.
SCT capabilities: (0x003f) SCT Status supported.
SCT Error Recovery Control supported.

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 100 100 051 Pre-fail Always - 5
2 Throughput_Performance 0x0026 252 252 000 Old_age Always - 0
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0023 087 082 025 Pre-fail Always - 4013
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 058 058 000 Old_age Always - 42534
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 252 252 010 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 252 252 051 Old_age Always - 0
8 Seek_Time_Performance 0x0024 252 252 015 Old_age Offline - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 12772
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 252 252 051 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 093 093 000 Old_age Always - 7908
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 087 087 000 Old_age Always - 13746
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total 0x0022 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 32726544
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate 0x0022 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 709
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0022 252 252 000 Old_age Always - 0
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 064 064 000 Old_age Always - 29 (Min/Max 13/40)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x003a 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 252 252 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 252 252 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 252 252 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0036 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x002a 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 213
223 Load_Retry_Count 0x0032 093 093 000 Old_age Always - 7908
225 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 042 042 000 Old_age Always - 589259

No Errors Logged

# 1 Short offline Interrupted (host reset) 90% 12772 -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 0
Note: revision number not 1 implies that no selective self-test has ever been run
1 0 0 Interrupted [90% left] (0-65535)
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing

As for the memory test, I installed Memtester (went without a hitch). However, I was unable to find it anywhere in Start Menu. Incidentally that's the third piece of software I installed with the Software Manager I was unable to find in the Start Menu (even after a reboot)... :shock:. Do you perhaps have a suggstion for another memtester that might not disappear in the Start Menu?

Anyway, many thanks again :).

John aka MintDude

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

A good way to test your ram--
boot with a live install .iso device, and during the install countdown press "Enter"
then scroll down to the memory test.
It can take considerable time for a comprehensive test depending on how much ram you have.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

the Mediamax WL750GSA3272B 750Gb passed SMART but getting some read errors. Were you accessing this HDD when you get the freeze up?

The rest tested OK.

As for the memory test, I installed Memtester (went without a hitch). However, I was unable to find it anywhere in Start Menu. 
Incidentally that's the third piece of software I installed with the Software Manager I was unable to find in the Start Menu (even after a reboot)... :shock:. 
Do you perhaps have a suggstion for another memtester that might not disappear in the Start Menu?
Many programs are accessible only from Terminal, these programs would not be in the Application listing.

As all41 suggested, you can use memtest86+ from the GRUB menu to test ram.

MintDude2013
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintDude2013 »

Hi Athi and All41:

Again, many thanks for your replies.

With regards to testing RAM, 'Memtest 86 5.01 x64 Mode' did one pass and found no errors :). As for running 'Chkdsk' to (hopefully) fix errors, does it matter whether I use command lines or Gparted, i.e. is Gparted perhaps faster than using the Terminal?

As for the 'Mediamax WL750GSA3272B 750Gb' disk, I think that's where Windoze is installed. LM18.3, on the other hand, is on the 2Tb disk. Since I've installed LM18.3 I've hardly accessed the 750Gb disk. So, I'm pretty sure I didn't access the 750Gb drive when the computer froze.

Since last Thursday the PC has frozen about 10 or 11 times. And about 5 times it froze while I was away from it doing something else. And like I've already mentioned each time this happened the mouse pointer worked but not a single program responded to the mouse pointer clicks, not even repeated ones. I think it even froze right after the Memtest had finished. Exiting Memtest requires pressing 'Esc' but when I did (several times, actually) nothing happened. Once again I had to reboot by pressing the power button. When the other 'freezes' happened I think I was mostly looking for some info online.

Also, a few hours ago I suddenly got this friendly :wink: system message, 'Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode. Do you want to restart Cinnamon?' Again, at this time I was either writing an email or searching the Internet, I don't remember.

Many thanks again.

John aka MintDude

P.S. As for the other two programs I installed and which the Start Menu somehow swallowed, these were to download managers: XDM and Youtube-dl :o.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

MintDude2013 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:25 pm

System:
Info:
  Processes: 236 Uptime: 8h 47m Memory: 5.75 GiB used: 3.99 GiB (69.3%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.27 
From this inxi command, it shows that you're using 4 GiB out of 5.75. This is a lot! Something's up there.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Return to “Hardware Support”