Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
foberle
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Changing CDs

Post by foberle » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 am

Quite some time ago, I used to play audio CDs on my computer while working on other things; when one completed, I would eject it, insert another, and continue playing. I recently attempted to do that again after a number of years and discovered that, once I ejected a CD, I could no longer read another until I logged out and back in.auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8

The machine is running Linux Mint 19.1 / Cinnamon 4.0.10 / Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic, and is kept up to date.

When attempting to load a different CD, I receive messages such as:
“Could not display “cdda://sr0/”. The location is not a folder.” or
“Unable to open a folder for Audio Disc. Cache invalid, retry (internally handled)”

Needless to say, this is quite annoying. I attempted several things:
* I tried the same process on a separate machine, which is set up in a similar fashion. Same behavior.
* I tried different methods of ejecting, both mechanical as well as software. Same behavior.
* I completely shut down Nemo/Files between attempts. Same behavior.
* I created a subdirectory under /media and added an entry to /etc/fstab using “auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8” (which I don’t recall ever having to do in the past). Same behavior.

I realize not many folks use CDs any more, but can anyone help make some sense of this? Thanks.

P.S. When using the forum search with the term "CD" prior to posting this, neither result seemed to relate to CDs, but rather to hard drives/SSDs.

qbit
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem Changing CDs

Post by qbit » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:44 pm

could no longer read another until I logged out and back in.
I tried different methods of ejecting, both mechanical as well as software. Same behavior.
Hmm, as far as i can remember i ve never played audio cd s under Linux.
But did you perform any tests, attempts, etc. to unmount the audio media before ejecting the CD?

PS: I remember old DOS days when changing a 1,4 MByte, diskette without

changing the drive letter before gave a lot of error trouble.

foberle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem Changing CDs

Post by foberle » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for the thought ...

All of the methods of ejecting I used (and know of) unmount the CD medium prior to doing the actual ejection. If the app hasn't yet finished reading from the CD, a message pops up saying it's busy; on the other hand a message also pops up confirming that it's ok to remove the disk.

So, I think all that stuff is working correctly. I really suspect this is yet another recently-introduced nautilus/nemo family bug but saying that seems just a bit premature.

The days you're referring to aren't "the old DOS days." Those would be the days when 180 kB (and later 360kB) 5.25" floppies were in use. Prior to those days, I had a Tandy with a (gulp) 8 inch floppy drive.

Return to “Hardware Support”