Atom n450 cpu idle in Cinnamon high?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
happysadhu

Atom n450 cpu idle in Cinnamon high?

Post by happysadhu »

Hello,
Cpu usage idles around 10% in Cinnamon 19 on my eee pc netbook, 32bit. Is that normal? It seems high to me. Thanks,Sam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Atom n450 cpu idle in Cinnamon high?

Post by deck_luck »

You should run top and monitor what is using the CPU if you think it is abnormal. You should also consider the gnome3 based desktop environment will use the 3D hardware accelerator for many UI effects. If your computer does not have a 3D accelerator GPU Cinnamon will resort to using software rendering, and it will start to consume a lot of CPU time depending on the screen activity. Do a simple test and start the system monitor and make it full screen. You may be surprised if it starts using a lot of CPU time. This is normally indicative of software rendering to produce the UI effects.

Honestly for an Atom based computer, I would have chosen a lighter weight desktop environment like XFCE or MATE. Of course there are many other very light weight DEs as well. I am sure somebody will chess beat their distro is the best blah blah blah.

Please run the following command from the terminal and post the ouput.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fz
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi happysadu...you said,
Cpu usage idles around 10% in Cinnamon 19 on my eee pc netbook, 32bit. Is that normal? It seems high to me. Thanks,Sam
First thing i can tell you is that i have an almost 12 yr old eeepc 1 gig ram with Intel atom n450, 160 gigs of ram, still all original including battery and power supply, that i bought brand new from "best buy" on a $99.99 blowout sale way back when...it was running Windows XP...i use it just for experimenting with various distributions of linux now...

i found that none of the present Linux Mint series work well on it, especially cinnamon which is the biggest heavy weight of all 3 LM main distros...(not including LMDE which is a different animal altogether).

my recommendation for you if you want the newest system that is up to date, runs acceptably for what it is, will work like LM XFCE using same commands etc and uses the LM update manager and software manager, and the nemo file manager as well, then use Peppermint 10 (Peppermint is not part of LM but runs pretty much the same and is an UK product)...(idle is around 3 to 4 %).

the eeepc will never be a speed demon but works well for basic web searching, email, etc...i have even altered coding enough in it where i can play 1080p music videos and movies without stutter, screen tearing, or heating up, but that kind of help is for a different posting when and if you decide to go this route, and then only under the "chat about Linux" categorie for Linux distros in general, (i copied my entire 64 gigs of music videos as well as movie library to it just to prove to others this can be done)...(i also get about 6 hrs battery life when stress testing it for that period of time while using usb powered external speakers), ...be aware that although Asus always installed 32 bit Operating systems on the eeepc, the n450 will handle and is designated as a 64 bit chip...The Peppermint 10 which is what i have installed with mine is the 64 bit version, i also use this antique museum piece to troubleshoot other computers and systems...

some will argue that it is a "cloud" based system Like chrome OS, it is not, it has the capability of cloud using ICE but that can easily be stripped out as i have done with mine.

here is the link below and if you decide to do so, i will help you with the terminal codes to strip out what is not needed and put in what is needed to smooth it out on a eeepc...you would be pretty impressed with the end results...DAMIEN

https://peppermintos.com/
happysadhu

Post by happysadhu »

Thanks for the help and suggestions, folks.

Return to “Hardware Support”