Macbook Pro Delete key in Cinnamon?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
happysadhu

Macbook Pro Delete key in Cinnamon?

Post by happysadhu »

Hi Folks,
I can't get the delete key to work properly in LM 19.2 Cinnamon when deleting files, etc from Nemo. I've tried delete, ctrl+delete, option+delete, It just navigates up to the parent directory (backspaces through navigation). Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Macbook Pro Delete key in Cinnamon?

Post by Portreve »

Hold your [fn] key down and the backspace will turn into a standard [Delete] key.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Well, you always learn something new... obviously I've been using the Mac keyboard the wrong way for a quarter of a century.
There's a delete key on the big keyboard - but I always liked the one with the backward arrow a bit better. And I deleted my stuff with it.
On the MacBook the selection is smaller, just backspace... why the hell could and can I delete my stuff with it...???

Completely without Fn key... :mrgreen:

Just seen - on my Acer Netbook is a Delete key. Top right and never used. New, so to speak...:lol:
mint_kiwi

Post by mint_kiwi »

Thanks for that. I had been trying without success to make a Keyboard Shortcut, on 2013 MacBook Air (6,1).
Note that Fn-Delete on Mint is equal to Cmd-Delete on MacOS, ie. deleted files are not removed completely as with $ rm but are simply Moved to Trash at ~/.local/share/Trash

Return to “Hardware Support”