Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dg333
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard not working sometimes until reboot

Post by dg333 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:04 am

Linux Mint 18.3, Mate edition, automatic login, Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A PS/2, enabled two layouts: US International with dead keys and Russian. Problem: the keyboard sometimes does not work upon boot, meaning that no key gets any response from the system: I can't type in any text in any text field, the Win key does not open the menu, Ctrl + Alt + F1 does not bring me to the terminal. No key works. However, pressing Caps Lock/Num Lock/F Lock changes the respective indicator's status. If I reboot (I can't just end the session and log in again because I can't input the password), the keyboard becomes fully functional including the multimedia keys (I have reassigned a couple of them and my settings are preserved). Notably, in the GRUB menu (I have dual boot) the keyboard is always fine: I can select any option and hit Enter, or hit C to enter the GRUB command line, or hit E and edit the boot options.

My .xsession-errors file is as follows:

Code: Select all

** Message: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: No such file or directory
mate-session[1162]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'

(mate-volume-control-applet:1348): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_remove: assertion '_gtk_widget_get_parent (widget) == GTK_WIDGET (container) || GTK_IS_ASSISTANT (container) || GTK_IS_ACTION_BAR (container) || GTK_IS_POPOVER_MENU (container)' failed

(mate-volume-control-applet:1348): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_remove: assertion '_gtk_widget_get_parent (widget) == GTK_WIDGET (container) || GTK_IS_ASSISTANT (container) || GTK_IS_ACTION_BAR (container) || GTK_IS_POPOVER_MENU (container)' failed

(nm-applet:1350): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
mintUpdate: process not found
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
[WARNING:flash/platform/pepper/pep_module.cpp(63)] SANDBOXED
(two messages translated from Russian, thus, the wording may be a little bit different).

P. S. I have installed Mint only recently, my previous OS was openSUSE 13.2 / KDE, did not experience such a problem.

I tried to search the Web for "Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard 1.0A does not work in Linux Mint" but could only find this old thread: viewtopic.php?t=14701 that did not give me any clue (or did I miss something?) and a bunch of links to discussions of other problems (such as drivers, F keys etc.).

What else can I look into to understand the cause of the problem?

Return to “Hardware Support”