Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nunthewiser
Level 1
Level 1

Touchpad Problems Dell xt2

Post by Nunthewiser » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Tina, 19.2 XFCE on a Dell Xt2,Alps touchpad

I am semi-new to this. I had an HP mini running on Lubuntu for some time years ago , but just installed this on an XT2.

At first the touchpad went erratic and I tried a few general solutions setting the parameters on the Synaptics driver, (according to a Dell tech note on Ubuntu) but no improvement. Finally decided to RTFM and the notes:
Touchpad drivers
The default touchpad driver in this edition is "synaptics" (provided by the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package).

If you experience problems with it, you can switch to another driver called "libinput" (provided by the xserver-xorg-input-libinput package).

To know which driver is used by your input devices, run the following command:

grep -i "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
When both drivers are installed, "synaptics" takes priority.

To switch to the "libinput" driver, remove "synaptics" with the commands:

apt remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
Then log out and log back in.

To go back to using "synaptics", simply reinstall it:

apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
Then log out and log back in.

Note: You can also try installing the "evdev" driver (provided by the xserver-xorg-input-evdev).
So , i followed this and first uninstalled "synaptics" and switched to "libinput" and that didn't help much. So, then I installed "evdev" and it helped. Then reading into it perhaps too much I though "perhaps I need to remove "libinput" since I have installed "evdev". When I tried that it became almost uncontrollable and luckily I could use the touchscreen to fix it and added libinput back. So, it seems that I have libinput and evdev running (?). The touchpad is controllable mostly, but seems to flake out at the edges and corners and scrolling is unsatisfying. It seems to take very heavy pressure to scroll but when you lift a finger to move to the next scroll position the light touch makes it flake out. I also miss not being able to tap to select, and I have to scroll with one hand and select with the other (very unnatural for me). So, it works, but just not an enjoyable experience. Any suggestions to improve my configuration? Sorry for the newb question....

EDIT- if nothing else, is there a way to desensitize the touchpad? If I use a light scrolling pressure , my finger drags across the pad and the cursor jumps around. Less sensitivity would help what I currently have.

Return to “Hardware Support”