Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mirkoj
Level 3
Level 3

Cinnamon crash and goes only to software mode

Post by mirkoj » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi,
I still have this old issue with cinnamon but figured to try and push and see if there is a solution as I sorted out most of the other stuff to be able to switch to mint completely.
So in a nutshell with 2 or more GPUs in the system, I would love to enable all GPUs and use this script for controlling fans on all of them
It all works fine on CentOS7.6
In order for the script to work this is needed:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus
and then
sudo nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=4

But the problem is after enable-all-gpus once I restart computer cinnamon just crashes and goes into software mode.
Also if I recall mate version doesn't have that issue as well but would have to test again.

So any idea what how where to look who to ask to see what is going on with this one. If this could be sorted out that would be another huge plus on Linux mint cinnamon experience.
Thank you!

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon crash and goes only to software mode

Post by HAWR » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Hello mirkoj,

I had the same crashes/software mode on a laptop with an Intel onboard and a nvidia card after installing the nvidia driver in the driver manager and reboot...At the end I found a "simple" solution here in the forums, which worked fine for me (last post) and maybe works for you, too:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=287624&p=1592320&h ... t#p1600028

The mentioned "purge all nvidia stuff":

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

mirkoj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mirkoj » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:57 pm

But I do need nvidia drivers so that GPU rendering works. Can't go without nvidia drivers...

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HAWR » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:58 pm

You should not go without nvidia, but you have to start with that purge, then install nvidia-prime, then enable/install the nvidia driver in the driver manager and then you have to do a reboot.

Return to “Hardware Support”