Before you post please read how to get help
fractalf
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Lenovo Yoga 730 - Mint 19.x - Performance issues

Post by fractalf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi! :)

TLDR;
Install Nvidia drivers from here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... px/151568/

I solved this myself, but thought I'd share the fix here incase anyone else has the problem.

I got myself a brand new fancy Lenovo Yoga 730 with Nvidia GeForce 1050 and a touchscreen and ofc installed Linux Mint as soon as possible.
But I ran into huge performance problems right away. Logout/restart/shutdown would freeze up and just normal usage would also freeze after some time and the cpu fan went wild etc etc

I tried booting all sorts of versions of Mint and other distros with mixed result. So finally after reading and searching for a solution I came across someone who mentioned that you should install extra drivers for Nvidia cards. I guess I'm so used to LInux just working out of the box that this didn't strike me at first.

Anyway, I found the drivers on Nvidia's webpage and that solved everything (at least so far ;) )
Just download from the link above and boot into "root text mode" (X server cant run while installing the driver)

Hope this can be of help for someone :)

Return to “Hardware Support”