having trouble with Driver Manager

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:48 am

HELLO
thanks in advance for helping.
I have not been able to connect to Driver Manager lately; The problem is whenever I start Driver Manager the download catch window starts up but few seconds later it pops up this error massage Failed to download repository information
Check your Internet connection.
and in the driver manager window the only option for driver is continue using a manually installed driver .
So how to fix that and use my nvidia driver.
and i have another question what exactly "continue using a manually installed driver" mean? Can that issue be harmful??

User avatar
natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:34 am

Do you have Spotify installed? I had an issue which might be the same as this, and fixed it.

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am

natch_gazziza wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:34 am
Do you have Spotify installed? I had an issue which might be the same as this, and fixed it.
No i am not.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10274
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am

Do you require usage of a proxy configured? That tends to cause issues.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am
Do you require usage of a proxy configured? That tends to cause issues.
No i'm not using any proxy.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10274
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:57 am

Then maybe it's the old classic, disable IPv6 in your network connection settings, reconnect and see how that goes.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

User avatar
natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 pm

When I had this issue it was because I hadn't added the spotify repository key. When driver manager started, it would attempt to load from that repo, fail, and tell me to check the internet connection. What sources can you see when you open up "Software Sources"?

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:04 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:57 am
Then maybe it's the old classic, disable IPv6 in your network connection settings, reconnect and see how that goes.
did that; doesn't work.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10274
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm

No idea then, at least if an

Code: Select all

apt update
in terminal window works (if not post the error message).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm
No idea then, at least if an

Code: Select all

apt update
in terminal window works (if not post the error message).

Code: Select all

Ign:1 http://packages.linuxmint.com tessa InRelease                            
Hit:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease                        
Hit:3 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease                     
Hit:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease           
Get:5 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [88.7 kB]    
Hit:6 http://packages.linuxmint.com tessa Release                              
Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]      
Get:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]    
Err:10 https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org bionic InRelease              
  Could not connect to deb.torproject.org:443 (d0::11), connection timed out
Fetched 252 kB in 31s (8,253 B/s)             
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
412 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
W: Failed to fetch https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/dists/bionic/InRelease  Could not connect to deb.torproject.org:443 (d0::11), connection timed out
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10274
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Alright, there you go, either an issue in your network or with the torproject.org server your network is connecting to (works fine from my end). You can either wait until that issue fixes itself or go disable the repository for now (see Software Sources > Additional Repositories).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with DRIVER MANAGER

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:25 pm

natch_gazziza wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 pm
When I had this issue it was because I hadn't added the spotify repository key. When driver manager started, it would attempt to load from that repo, fail, and tell me to check the internet connection. What sources can you see when you open up "Software Sources"?
2 sources both tor project
I've gotta say deb.torproject.org is censored in my region think thats the problem
and i checked the mirror links in software sources which are reachable

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:32 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:20 pm
Alright, there you go, either an issue in your network or with the torproject.org server your network is connecting to (works fine from my end). You can either wait until that issue fixes itself or go disable the repository for now (see Software Sources > Additional Repositories).
Thank you i did that but torproject.org is censored in my country and the only sources in Software Sources are that only if i uncheck them i have no sources.
i unchecked them and started driver manager again no error massage this time but still i can't change the driver all options still grayed out.

User avatar
natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm

If your have Nvidia card:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
I also had the greyed out bug and this solved it for me

*edit* Sorry I don't know the commands for AMD drivers but you could probs just google how to remove them, and ubuntu-drivers autoinstall should work anyway

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10274
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Nymeria wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:25 pm
I've gotta say deb.torproject.org is censored in my region think thats the problem
That is unfortunate. The only way around state censorship is a VPN usually (unless they are only blocking the DNS requests, in which case you could just enter the address in /etc/hosts, but you'll know better than I what they are censoring).
Nymeria wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:32 pm
but still i can't change the driver all options still grayed out.
Driver Manager greys out the options if you manually installed a driver, i.e. not from a repository, because you would not be able to switch back to it, at least not via Driver Manager.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:27 pm

natch_gazziza wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm
If your have Nvidia card:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
I also had the greyed out bug and this solved it for me

*edit* Sorry I don't know the commands for AMD drivers but you could probs just google how to remove them, and ubuntu-drivers autoinstall should work anyway

Dude i did what you said and rebooted now my linux os doesn't boot up
It's only all black on the screen

User avatar
natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Do you have nvidia drivers?

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Yes

User avatar
natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm

When you ran ubuntu-drivers autoinstall, did it all go okay? No idea why it would do that, I have removed and reinstalled the nvidia drivers more than a couple of times (had some issues with it including the greyed out bug you experienced) and that has never happened to me. Try logging in (Ctrl + Alt + F1, then type your login details) and reinstalling the ubuntu-drivers. Apart from that, I feel like I'm getting out of my depth here and I don't wanna totally brick your system. I'm really sorry, that has never happened to me.

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by Nymeria » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 pm

natch_gazziza wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm
When you ran ubuntu-drivers autoinstall, did it all go okay? No idea why it would do that, I have removed and reinstalled the nvidia drivers more than a couple of times (had some issues with it including the greyed out bug you experienced) and that has never happened to me. Try logging in (Ctrl + Alt + F1, then type your login details) and reinstalling the ubuntu-drivers. Apart from that, I feel like I'm getting out of my depth here and I don't wanna totally brick your system. I'm really sorry, that has never happened to me.
Thank you it's alright no hard fellings
i'll work something out

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware Support”