Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1

Re: having trouble with Driver Manager

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:51 pm

If you can log in, you might wanna just restore from timeshift. You can use timeshift from terminal but I've never done it and don't know the commands.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 pm

See the release notes on how to boot with the nomodeset option, that should get you past the black screen. Then install the nvidia driver via driver manager and reboot.

Next time be careful with the commands you are running/have a Timeshift snapshot at hand for easy rollback. As I had mentioned above, the greyed out options were not a bug but entirely intentional so there was nothing to "fix" as such, other than you having had installed a driver probably by downloading rather than via the repositories, as is recommended and ensures that you are receiving updates.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 pm

I love Mint and I can't even tell you how much I respect all the work that has been done, but it really is a bug. At least, I had this happen to me when I had never installed any driver manually. I have had it happen when I didn't add the spotify repo key, and had it happen when I tried out the Nouveau drivers, when I wanted to switch back it was greyed out. I don't debate that sometimes it is supposed to be grayed out, but at least twice with me it wasn't supposed to be but it was.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm

The update failing when apt is misconfigured is normal and expected. Switching drivers I suppose you'd have had to reboot first, but I'd have to look at that part of the code in detail to know for sure.

Nymeria
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nymeria » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:41 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 pm
See the release notes on how to boot with the nomodeset option, that should get you past the black screen. Then install the nvidia driver via driver manager and reboot.

Next time be careful with the commands you are running/have a Timeshift snapshot at hand for easy rollback. As I had mentioned above, the greyed out options were not a bug but entirely intentional so there was nothing to "fix" as such, other than you having had installed a driver probably by downloading rather than via the repositories, as is recommended and ensures that you are receiving updates.
Hello again after a long time,remember my problem?
So i can't boot into linux after reboot all i can see is a black page i tought it was the problem with my drivers but i entered the command sudo apt-cache search nvidia and that should give me all the nvidia files i have on my pc installed and the result is a long list .
So doesn't that say i have my driver installed. If yes then what is the problem ?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:31 pm

No, that command just searches all known packages regardless of whether they are installed or not. To see what you've actually got installed you can run this:

Code: Select all

apt list -i "nvidia*"

Return to “Hardware Support”