IOMMU Issues

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

IOMMU Issues

Post by battlenut »

IOMMU Issues
Two systems, they are identical withe the exception. one of them has dedicated graphics.
Ryzen 5 2400
Corsair vengance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Gygabyte B450 I AORUS Pro WiFi
M.2 Crucial MX500
only one system has a RX 570

Both Systems were fine running Linux Mint 19.1. The one I had in my office, I powered it down due to changing offices. Well it was powered down for 2 weeks, went to power backup Linux would not boot. I dual boot win 10, so I booted up Win 10 and got everything updated. went to install Linux again Multiple distro's Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Manjaro. All distros I have used before. They all fail and mention about this IOMMU stuff. Every time I attempt an install I power then push the F12 key to get the boot menu. I always choose the 1st UEFI partition, well now every time I attempt an install it creates a new partition on my flash drive. I am using balena to burn my ISOs to USB just in case this is pertinent. Has any one else seen this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: IOMMU Issues

Post by Pierre »

that IOMMU is Intel's name for VT-x (virtual memory & execution) and VT-d (virtual PCIe addressing for peripherals).

do you need it ? most likely, since you are still using that win-10 & which does need the VT-x based CPUs.
- - it's also needed in any VMs as well, that would also run that win-10.

are all of those mentioned Linux Systems, currently are 64bit systems ?.

so, something has shifted, in the machines BIOS, when you powered down for those two weeks.
- - can you try resetting the machines BIOS settings, to see if you can bypass those IOMMU settings ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

I set Bios to default and tested to no avail. then went through found the IOMMU setting disabled it once , then set it to enabled and also to auto. None of those settings worked. Yes all the ISOs are 64Bit. I have this posted in 3 places so Hopefully I get help, this is really bothering me.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

this is my /etc/default/grub with ryzen3
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ipv6.disable=1 idle=nomwait pcie_aspm=off iommu=soft quiet splash"
you can edit add iommu=soft to the boot entry with ctrl+e add it before quiet splash see how that works, but then it will complain about something else maybe
sudo update-grub if you make any changed to /etc/default/grub

Return to “Hardware Support”