partition 1 does not end on a cylinder boundry

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnLL
Level 3
Level 3

partition 1 does not end on a cylinder boundry

Post by JohnLL »

I have a 1TB drive in SDA which used to be a windows 10 drive which I seldom booted. I got a blue screen that say something like 'something went wrong, restarting' -- left it for 10hrs and still the same message so I formatted the drive to use it as storage and backup of data. Approx 940MB, 1 partition sda1. Root has RW position but I am having difficulties getting user(me) access to copy/save data. Looking up permissions I found this page "https://itsfoss.com/set-write-permissio ... ntu-linux/" in an effort to understand and change the permissions. The very first step got me the following:

sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000 GB, 1000202273280 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 121602 976768033 83 Linux
Warning: Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.

I don't know if the warning is the reason I can't (as user) access the drive. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on partitioning and "boundaries" can help me set up proper permissions. Opening up the drive from the display and checking properties I see (greyed out)
Owner: Root -folder access - create and delete files:
Group: Root -folder access - access files.
No user.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: partition 1 does not end on a cylinder boundry

Post by WharfRat »

Can you mount the partition to /mnt with sudo mount -v /dev/sda1 /mnt then paste back the results of ls -lhd /mnt

The warning is nothing to worry about.
JohnLL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JohnLL »

As requested

~ $ ls -lhd /mnt
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Nov 10 16:44 /mnt
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

You just have to set the owner:group to yours: sudo chown -v $USER:$USER /mnt with the partition mounted to /mnt :wink:
JohnLL
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JohnLL »

I am perplexed. I had my UPS shut down and had to do a power on restart. My sda1 disappeared and when checking it root was owner. I did the following :

sudo chown -v $USER:$USER /mnt, and got this: changed ownership of '/mnt' from root:root to ve3sjv:ve3sjv. Checking : ls -lhd /mnt I get:

drwxr-xr-x 2 ve3sjv ve3sjv 4.0K Jun 28 2017 /mnt.

Now the drive shows on my display. I can open it however when checking it (right click) and looking at the display I see the name (storage), I see Type: (inode/directory) and contents unreadable!!!! Looking at permissions - it says that the permissions of "storage" cannot be determined.

Doing a google on permissions cannot be determined I found this :ls -l /media/ve3sjv which gives me an output of the following:

ls -l /media/ve3sjv
total 116
drwxrwxrwx 1 ve3sjv ve3sjv 53248 Nov 7 12:52 E87288007287D22C
drwxrwxrwx 1 ve3sjv ve3sjv 32768 Nov 7 12:52 Elements
drwxrwxrwx 1 ve3sjv ve3sjv 28672 Nov 7 12:52 New Volume
drwxr-xr-x 3 ve3sjv ve3sjv 4096 Nov 10 16:44 Storage

The first 3 are external drives. I can see a big difference in permissions. Namely the 2nd and 3rd 'w' (which I presume means write) is missing in sda1 (called Storage). Also what does the number after the permissions mean? Top 3 have a 1, bottom has a 3.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

The missing 'w's in the last listing displayed are for group and all other write permissions.

So basically anyone in your group and all others cannot create or modify any files.

The number to the right of the modes are the number of links or directories inside that director/folder.

If you wan to change storage to full access to everybody then sudo chmod 0777 /mnt will do that if the partition in mounted to /mnt.

When these filesystems are mounted to /media/ve3sjv they are then under the control of access control lists.

I don't mount filesystems there because it adds more confusion - see man acl and man getfacl and man setfacl

Code: Select all

[bill@xps-tina] ~ ->$ getfacl /media/bill
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: media/bill
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:bill:r-x
group::---
mask::r-x
other::---

Return to “Hardware Support”