Problems with Configuring Printer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gavinjb

Problems with Configuring Printer

Post by gavinjb »

Hi,

I have just tried to configure my Printer with a brand new install of Mint, I am using a HP Laserjet 1020 Printer which when I previously needed to use I would have to download and compile the foo2zjs driver which I have just accomplished. But after compiling the foo2zjs driver I connected the printer and installed in the printer manager, but when I right click and select properties on the printer (or the pdf printer for that matter), the first time the screen went black and small parts came back slowly and then everything froze, but now as soon as i select properties the machine freezes.

Not sure if this is a bug in Mint or a problem with my printer, I have even tried the MS response to this sort of problem (reboot), but no joy.

Gavin,

UPDATE:
I have just re-installed Mint and installed the Nvidia Driver and nothing else and I get exactly the same problem when I right click on PDF Printer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gavinjb

Re: Problems with Configuring Printer

Post by gavinjb »

As well as the problem mentioned above, after trying to run the Printer Config tool the first couple of times now when I run it it flashes on the screen briefly and then vanishes, so I thought I would try running it in the console and I get the following

Code: Select all

sudo system-config-printer
[sudo] password for gavinjb: 
/home/gavinjb/.printer-groups.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty

^
/home/gavinjb/.printer-groups.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found

^
Caught non-fatal exception.  Traceback:
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/XmlHelper.py", line 37, in __init__
    self.xml_doc = libxml2.parseFile (self.group_file_name)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/libxml2.py", line 1279, in parseFile
    if ret is None:raise parserError('xmlParseFile() failed')
parserError: xmlParseFile() failed
Continuing anyway..
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 6757, in <module>
    focus_on_map)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 6705, in main
    print_test_page, focus_on_map)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 565, in __init__
    self.groups_pane = GroupsPane ()
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/GroupsPane.py", line 144, in __init__
    for group_name, group_node in xml_helper.get_static_groups ():
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/XmlHelper.py", line 68, in get_static_groups
    return self.__parse_groups ("static-group")
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/XmlHelper.py", line 54, in __parse_groups
    current = self.xml_doc.getRootElement ().children
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getRootElement'
Thanks,

Gavin,
gavinjb

Post by gavinjb »

Well I have found the cause of the machine freezing when I try and look at the properties of a Printer in the Printer Manager, but haven't got a clue on how to fix it.

I have found that from a clean install it works fine, but after I install the nVidia drivers I start to get the problems.

If I install nVidia accelerated graphics driver (version 180) [reconmended] from Hardware Drivers then as soon as I right click on a Printer and select properties it hangs

But if I install nVidia accellerated graphics driver (version 173) then it doesn't hang, only problem is the Properties window doesn't draw the apply and cancel buttons so I can make any changes to the printer setup.

Can anyone please help.

Gavin,
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Post the make and model of the video card or at least post the output of the following command: inxi -G

Maybe someone with your video card ( or similar ) has resolved the issue.

EDIT: Sorry didn't notice that you did post the make and model. Consider this a bump - Sorry
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

I have a similar problem to gavinjb with my HP1020.

Under Debian testing I could install it and it would maintain it's configuration after cycling the power.
With Mint7xfce it seems to lose configuration. I use the driver from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
This used to be the most reliable.
[I'll try the supplied driver from Mint because it worked with one of the Ubuntu flavors a while back.]

However, I have found that after rebooting or probably turning off the printer, I need do the following to print again:
0. I notice the problem when I send something to the printer but it doesn't start printing
1. change to the directory where the foo2zjs is unpacked, compiled and stored.
2. $ sudo make install-hotplug
3. unplug the power and the usb cables, wait 5 secs
4. plug in the power and then the usb cable.
5. $ sudo make cups
And it usually prints what is in the buffer.

What a pain. There must be a better way?

How can I keep it active or automate after each power cycle.

[Edit: Go figure. This morning it remembered and didn't require reloading/rerunning: # make install-hotplug
I suppose just be thankful for small favors. ]

I know, next time I'll buy an HP 1022, 1100, 1200 or other more compatible printer. :(

saludos,
Richard.

Return to “Hardware Support”