Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tweetybird
Level 3
Level 3

Looking for a printer

Post by tweetybird »

Presently have a Brother wireless printer which I could never get to work. It's a WiFi only printer. Due to this I am looking for a printer, does not have to be color and I prefer black and white to save on the expense of the color cartridges, laser which would use usb and be plug n play with Linux Mate. Is there such a thing and what make and model.

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Looking for a printer

Post by JoeFootball »

tweetybird wrote: Is there such a thing and what make and model.
Speaking for myself, I've been using a Samsung SCX-4623F for at least eight years, and it's exactly the criteria you've specified (laser, monochrome, USB, has worked with every version of LM that I've tried). That said, I'm sure it's no longer a current model.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

I use a epson ET-4750 using wifi. I much prefer that which saves on using usb ports. But that's me.
Just get a piece of paper write down the names of printer manufacturers, and go to their website and check out those laser printers you want and see the specs, some will have drivers for linux others won't. Just a process until you decide on which brand and model you want and the costs of toner replacements over the cost of the printer.
It's fun looking for new hardware..that is till the cost appears...lol

GSimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GSimpson »

I have been using Brother wireless printers for years with no problems. What model?
I have also used CISS system from new with my Brother that greatly reduces ink costs.
HP Zbook
Intel© Core™ i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4
Linux Mint 19.3 64 bit Cinnamon
16GB ram

Graphics NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M]

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

My printer is plugged into my router although My laptop is connected wirelessly. It's an HP CM1312nfi I picked up at auction.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

have a Brother MFC9340CDW wireless works great with Mint. No problems at all.
Also have an HP that's worked for years.
This page may be of help to you also: https://haydenjames.io/finding-linux-co ... -printers/
Good Luck in your search.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

Been using brother for years, no problems with linux. Previously a HL4140CN, currently a HLL8260CDW, both network printers, the HLL8260CDW is wireless but using it hardwired into the network. Brother linux support is very good.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Hardware Support”