Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Daddylongleg
Level 1
Level 1

Which Webcam for Videochat ZOOM and Mint 19.3 ? [SOLVED]

Post by Daddylongleg »

Hello to everyone!
There are some discussions on this subject, but mostly how to use outdated devices (like my Logitec Quickcam Pro 9000). I am willing to spend some money to buy a modern webcam which works with 19.3 - 64-bit and perhaps also with WIN10-64 Pro. Would be nice to hear users experience with videochat-software ZOOM. I noticed also the actual shortage of webcams on the market. Is there some test-software available to inspect/control camera properties besides ZOOM?
Who can help? Thanks for advice.
Last edited by Daddylongleg on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Which Webcam for Videochat ZOOM and Mint 19.3 ?

Post by wallyUSA »

I have seen ref to the cheese app. Perhaps that will help. Not by a pc right now but it maybe in software mgr.
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.7 Kernel 5.4.0-42 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I use a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 and it works fine, no extra drivers needed. And yes, Cheese is in the repos and works well for testing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Do you have a smatphone? Use DroidCam, works great. Clients for Linux and windows
http://www.dev47apps.com/
Cheese can't see my Logitech webcams, it sees only the DroidCam client which is not running at the moment
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy
Daddylongleg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daddylongleg »

Hello Moem, my test using Cheese was succesful. Be be clear, bevor I go on to install ZOOM: did you really used ZOOM with this Logitec Quickcam 9000 PRO bevor? I am yet very gratefull for your info, because I thought this device is not at all useable anymore. Might it be possible to use the microphone with a seperate software like audacity? Thanks in advance.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I too use a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which works well including the microphone. I do not use Zoom but do use "Whereby" for video communication: https://whereby.com/
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Daddylongleg wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:19 am
Hello Moem, my test using Cheese was succesful. Be be clear, bevor I go on to install ZOOM: did you really used ZOOM with this Logitec Quickcam 9000 PRO bevor?
Yes I have.

You can also use Cheese to make a video clip with sound, to test the sound capabilities of your setup.

I have not tried using the microphone on the webcam in Audacity, and for Zoom I use a separate headset, in fact a very simple and cheap smartphone headset. I get better results that way, because there is no chance of the mic picking up the sound from the speakers.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Daddylongleg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daddylongleg »

Hi Moem,
You helped me quite a lot. I will go on now using ZOOM. Thanks to all the others. Best regards Niborapo
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Which Webcam for Videochat ZOOM and Mint 19.3 ? [SOLVED]

Post by Moem »

Glad I could help!

Return to “Hardware Support”