Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Howard_P
Level 3
Level 3

need webcam recommendation

Post by Howard_P »

Hi- The webcam on my Thinkpad T440s has a horrid green light that makes everything lurid. I'd like to buy an auxiliary webcam and disable mine. Can someone recommend a webcam that works well with Mint (19.3 Mate) ? Thank you, -Howard

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: need webcam recommendation

Post by MrEen »

Hi Howard_P,

You might save yourself some money if you have an Android smartphone and use it as the webcam. I haven't got around to trying it out yet myself, but droidcam makes this possible. I do know 2 users that are happily using it now though.

WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Howard_P:

A friend gave me one a few years back with a monitor. I dug it out of the "computer stuff box" to get the model and see if there were some on ebay. Yup, there are about 5. Search: Logitech Webcam V-UBK45 RightLight RightSound Technology Camera Web Cam. Thirty bucks will about do it.
I played around with it awhile back, they are decent little cameras, (with microphone!). It's absurd to pay what they are asking for new ones.

Hope the info works for you.

Howard_P
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Howard_P »

Thanks to MrEen- Unfortunately I use an iphone. There is apparently some way to use this with iphone, but it is beyond my capacity to even make heads or tails of the instructions..
And thanks to WHVW, I'll look into the Logitech Webcam V-UBK45 RightLight RightSound Technology Camera Web Cam- do you happen to know if it works directly with Linuxmint (19.3-Mate) or are there drivers needed and if so are they available?
-Howard

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Howard_P:

I don't know for sure that it works with 19.3, but I DO know that it works on 19.1. There shouldn't be any problems on 19.3.

Later

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

DroidCam works in 19.3 with Android phones and tablet (Motorola Moto E2 Lineage OS 15 and 16, Nokia 3.1 Android One 9, Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro Android 6)
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Return to “Hardware Support”