Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 1
Level 1

Rosewell USB 3 PCIe card not recognized [SOLVED]

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

It's an RC-505, with 2 USB-ports, I put in a few years back since my original motherboard only had 3 USB 2.

It was recognized under Win7. I realize there are no dedicated Linux drivers for that card by Rosewill, but I was hoping someone might have an idea what to do. Please.

Btw, I've tried searching the forum for similar problems, but since 3-letter-words are ignored by the search (which is a pity, considering how many computery things have just 3 letters!) I wasn't successful.
Last edited by SilenceIsG0lden on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~
Falling out of love with Windows7 and looking for new ways to use my PC (which I built myself, in 2008).
Testing with Linux Mint 19.3 cinnamon. Trying to use my old DOS knowledge, but not getting very far.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Rosewell USB 3 PCIe card not recognized

Post by MartyMint »

That card should have a connector to supply SATA or molex power. Have you attached this to the card?

SilenceIsG0lden
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, MartyMint, I'm a bit rusty with my hardware knowledge. Do you mean the card would have to be connected another way in addition to how it's been connected all those years?

Between yesterday and today I observed that it actually works, sometimes. I had a USB stick plugged into it and forgotten about it. When I rebooted the PC last night, I could see it and deal with the files on it. But when I booted up again this morning, it again didn't work. Even though I never removed the stick. So, something's wonky, but I can't figure out what.

Any ideas what that could be? I didn't boot into Win7 between it working and not, if that might be important.
~~~~~~~
Falling out of love with Windows7 and looking for new ways to use my PC (which I built myself, in 2008).
Testing with Linux Mint 19.3 cinnamon. Trying to use my old DOS knowledge, but not getting very far.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

Try removing the card and re-seating it.

SilenceIsG0lden
Level 1
Level 1

Good that you wrote "try" -- I did just that, but it won't budge. It's solidly married to the motherboard, and I'm afraid to yank too much for fear of damaging the motherboard. I did unplug and replug the power supply, though.

May I ask what you were trying to achieve by removing and and reseating it? Trigger a new-hardware scan? If so, isn't that possible some other way?

I just now rebooted, after opening my PC up, and it is working yet again. Maybe that's it, and I should just be content having figured out the pattern: it will be recognized by the system every other time I boot. *sigh*
~~~~~~~

SilenceIsG0lden
Level 1
Level 1

Solved! Thanks, MartyMint, for the suggestion.

I realized I need the USB 3 PCIe card more often in Linux now (since I rarely go into Win7 anymore), so I completely uninstalled all the Renesas drivers -- of which there were several, parallel ones, which could've been contributed to the problem. Then I took out the PCIe card (without breaking it).

I rebooted several times into Windows, to make sure it was really all gone. Then I shut down my PC, put the card back in and booted into Linux. I'm actually not quite sure if it would've recognized it right away (I forgot that there needs to be a USB in there for me to see it in Nemo) or if it needed the "lshw" command that I found somewhere suggested.

At any rate. It seems fixed now! Whohoo! *knocking on wood*
~~~~~~~

Return to “Hardware Support”