Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kyouma_des
Level 1
Level 1

ASUS laptop freezes when the power cord is plugged/unplugged

Post by kyouma_des »

I've just uninstalled Windows and installed Mint on my laptop. It's working almost perfectly, but I do have one problem: my laptop freezes every time I plug in or unplug the power cord. The mouse usually still works, but everything else dies. The ctrl+alt+F* keys are unresponsive. Sometimes Firefox still works for a few seconds until it locks up.

Laptop Model: ASUS Zenbook S
Linux 19.3 Cinnamon

I've tried installing and uninstalling tlp and powertop, neither seem to help on their default settings.

Thanks for any ideas!

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: ASUS laptop freezes when the power cord is plugged/unplugged

Post by carum carvi »

Why use Tlp and Powertop? These programs can be causing problems. My advice would be to do a new install, without Tlp or Powertop. Use "Dconf-editor" for changing power management settings in LinuxMint Cinnamon. To be found in the standard software manager. I can guide you to the exact spot inside the program "Dconf-editor, where you can change the power management settings if you wish you to change the standard power management settings.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

in 19.3 Cinnamon, no need for a special editor to change Power Settings.
just click on the Battery Icon in the Panel and choose 'Power Settings'
Alternatively, bring up Menu and type in 'Power' and choose Power Management, you get the same exact control panel to make adjustments.

I am using an ASUS TUF FX705GM: and not having issues like you describe.

I am constantly plugging/unplugging the power cord to take the laptop with me elsewhere around the house.

Have you tried Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace to reset the desktop?
it should go blank, and then ask for your password and then return to normal.

I would also suggest a fresh install and leave those two items out of the mix.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

If the mouse works and "everything else" fails, I assume you include the keyboard. Sounds like a USB related problem. Have you swapped the keyboard and mouse ports?

Some laptops do funny things with USB ports when on battery. If the USB config changes, that can cause problems similar to what you describe. Read about the
lsusb
and
dmesg
commands. You could test with the following.
Open the command line box.
Run the command dmesg.
Plug or unplug.
Run the command dmesg.
Are there any new messages?

This may help you understand what is happening in your machine and simplify experiments with power saving.

kyouma_des
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kyouma_des »

Thanks everybody for the replies.
carum carvi wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:32 am
Why use Tlp and Powertop? These programs can be causing problems. My advice would be to do a new install, without Tlp or Powertop. Use "Dconf-editor" for changing power management settings in LinuxMint Cinnamon. To be found in the standard software manager. I can guide you to the exact spot inside the program "Dconf-editor, where you can change the power management settings if you wish you to change the standard power management settings.
I installed them hoping they could fix the problem, then uninstalled when it didn't work.
Have you tried Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace to reset the desktop?
it should go blank, and then ask for your password and then return to normal.
Yes. No response from the computer.
If the mouse works and "everything else" fails, I assume you include the keyboard. Sounds like a USB related problem. Have you swapped the keyboard and mouse ports?
Neither is USB; the keyboard is a part of the laptop, and the mouse is bluetooth. By "everything," I mean the computer becomes completely unresponsive - the mouse moves, but clicking yields no results, and neither do any keyboard commands, including the typical emergency commands.

Return to “Hardware Support”