Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bumbum
Level 1
Level 1

Trackpad issues

Post by bumbum »

I've got a Lenovo Y500 with Mint 19.3. This particular machine has a well documented issue with the trackpad - it's absolutely infuriating! I've had it disabled for the longest time and just used a wireless mouse. Everything works quite well this way. Recently (a few months) it seems to keep re-enabling the trackpad without warning. When this happens, the trackpad effectively takes over. It begins selecting everything on the screen and it's like the left-click button is permanently jammed on and on occasion the only way to break out of it seems to be to hard kill the power - obviously, I don't like doing that. I will have to boot back up and disable the trackpad again before I can continue.
Is there a way to permanently disable it using for example xinput or better still at grub level? Basically, I don't want the machine to even see that the trackpad exists if at all possible. This thing is so frustrating that I'm very close to taking snips to wires inside my laptop - or a stick of dynamite...

Return to “Hardware Support”