Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
marcyustin
Level 1
Level 1

System on an hard disk and data on another

Post by marcyustin »

I'm a newbie and today I finally solved my problems with my computer, so before damaging some I need your help!

I have two internal hard disks:
  • SSD 256 GB
    NOT SSD 640 GB
On the first is installed Linux Mint. I need that system will be on the SSD disk, as is now, but data on the NOT SSD disk.

I imagine I have to use GParted. But how?

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: System on an hard disk and data on another

Post by LanceM »

Where is you data now? How much data in GB? Normally, you would format the other drive with Disks to Ext4, and transfer your data there.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

marcyustin wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:02 pm
On the first is installed Linux Mint. I need that system will be on the SSD disk, as is now, but data on the NOT SSD disk.
Internet search on linux data partition

2nd result = "HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition" on Mint website:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1609

3rd result = "DATA Partition best practices" in this forum
viewtopic.php?t=266314
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

marcyustin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marcyustin »

LanceM wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:23 pm
Where is you data now? How much data in GB? Normally, you would format the other drive with Disks to Ext4, and transfer your data there.
Data are on SSD DIsk. I need to move to NOT SSD Disk

marcyustin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marcyustin »

Flemur wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:16 pm
marcyustin wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:02 pm
Internet search on linux data partition

2nd result = "HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition" on Mint website:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1609

3rd result = "DATA Partition best practices" in this forum
viewtopic.php?t=266314
It's really too much difficult for ne. I think I will move data on an external disk

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Yes the other is needlessly complicated. Menu>Accessories>Disks. On the left, highlight the non SSD drive (hereafter referred to as HDD). Click the 3 horizontal lines in upper right (hamburger menu is correct term). Choose Format disk. Accept the defaults and choose Format. It will prompt for password as well as warn about the losing any data on the drive. If there is data there back it up first to some other location. Once formatted, click the + below the drive's graphic window and click next. Leave the radio dot button on Ext4 and give the drive a short name (like My-Data or whatever, can be a single letter like Z). Click create. After format is complete, you can select the way it mounts at startup. Click the 2 gears below the drive's graphic window and select Edit mount options. Slide the button to off and set it to mount at startup. You can choose to have it show on your desktop or not (like a flash drive shows). Alternatively, you can have it not show and make a shortcut to that can reside in your home folder. There are many options if you want, I can help with them. While that window is still open, click the Identify as and choose the name you gave it. Choose OK. Enter your password and make the process happen. Reboot your PC and put you data on the drive. More help if you need it, just ask. It would help to tell me the version of Mint you are using, like Cinnamon 19.3 or whatever.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Return to “Hardware Support”