Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Azarado
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint and Win 7 on separate HDDs

Post by Azarado »

I am looking to buy a used Dell 9020 MT i7-4770 PC. All the choices have either Win 8 or 10, which I abhor. I was wondering if I could use hard drive wiper like DBAN to nuke the Win 10, install Linux Mint on it, then install a secondary HDD with Win 7? I had heard that Windows and Linux do not get along unless Windows is the primary OS, and I think in this case with Linux Mint installed first, it would not be. Will this be a problem? If so, is there a way around it? I want a dual-boot situation, but not with two operating systems on one HDD.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint and Win 7 on separate HDDs

Post by RIH »

If you are installing on 2 different disks then there should not be an issue.
Instead of using grub (or another boot loader) at start up you can just F10 (or whatever function key on your machine that shows boot order) & then select from there which disk (&, hence, which system) to boot into.

Mint will comfortably install over the top of Windows 10 without the need for a prior disk wipe..

Installing Windows first really only matters when you are dual booting from the same disk & even that can be resolved with a little effort.

Windows 7 is not a Microsoft supported product any more, so you should really consider the risks if you plan to contact the outside world with it.
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Azarado
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Azarado »

Thanks for the info. I will then proceed with the plan.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Azarado wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:01 am
Thanks for the info. I will then proceed with the plan.
Don't be too hasty. What @RIH didn't tell you is that the method described requires one hard drive removed while you install to the other, then you remove that drive and replace it with the first drive that was removed, and install the other OS to that drive. Once that's done, put both drives back. Only then can you expect the described boot method to work.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Return to “Hardware Support”