Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mildly_odd
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard and Touchpad stopped responding

Post by Mildly_odd »

Hi
I have been using Mint 18.1 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Yoga laptop with everything working fine for a couple of years or more and then today, it appears all out of the blue, that the keyboard and touchpad have stopped working. The other prominent symptoms are that:
- the capslock button light is on all the time
- some of the function keys still work such as screen-off/on, flight mode, screen brightness, but not audio volume

I normally use the laptop with a logitech USB keyboard mouse and a) these still work perfectly b) the built-in keyboard and mouse don't work regardless of whether the USB set are connected or not.

Things I have tried with no change in symptoms:
- reboot
- disable/re-enable touchpad through system settings
- disable/re-enable keyboard through a xinput disable enable script
- update everything pending through the update manager
- turned it upside down and shaken it to see if any scraps of dust or food work loose

What is the logical sequence of things I can try to diagnose the problem and ultimately fix it?

Extract from Inxi -F:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Lenovo-Yoga-300-11IBR Kernel: 4.4.0-185-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7  Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Keyboard and Touchpad stopped responding

Post by DoodMann »

How about upgrading? Linux Mint Ulyana got released this week, there's upgrade instructions on the Blog
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Mildly_odd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mildly_odd »

Yes, good point but that route would have to be the subject of several more questions from me regarding backing up and transferring all my settings and installed software. In the mean time I'd really like to get the keyboard working and I don't want to go through all that trauma just to find that updating linux mint wasn't the issue in the first place. As I say, its been working properly for a couple of years so I don't immediately see how it could be the root cause unless someone can show me how it might be likely.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Try out first other keyboards, maybe the keyboard's faulty now.

Second, we have no problem on losing your stuff if you have a seperate /home partition.

Third, if you really feel it's not the OS that has the problem, try on other USB ports, try on another computer, or even try at your phone if it has USB OTG.
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Mildly_odd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mildly_odd »

Hi DoodMann, just responding to your points:
Try out first other keyboards, maybe the keyboard's faulty now.
As I mentioned, I already believe it is the internal laptop keyboard that has the problem. The logitech USB keyboard and mouse that I normally use still work perfectly. I want to get the internal keyboard working again, or determine definitively whether it has a hardware problem, so that I can use the laptop without the external keyboard and mouse and take it away from home with me (as the lock down eases obviously!).

The laptop has just 60GB of solid state memory and so I didn't create partitions when I installed Mint originally.

I don't really follow your third sentence. It appears this is connected to the earlier misunderstanding about which keyboard does not work. Once again I am interested in understanding the range of diagnostics I can try given my particular situation.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Okay, that made my mind clear. If it's a internal keyboard, can you remove the panel that holds the keyboard as it might have been unplugged.
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Mildly_odd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mildly_odd »

Another symptom has turned up. The fault has actually disappeared and reappeared a few times, i.e. I have had the use of the internal keyboard and touchpad from time to time. The laptop hasn't been moved in that time.

As this is a hardware forum, does anyone know how to provoke the firmware to do any kind of self test?
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Then it might be the connection inside your laptop. Unfortunately, with that I can't help you. You need to find a manual yourself or at least an ifixit repair tips.

But others might still find a solution, just think of that as plan B
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Mildly_odd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mildly_odd »

The plot thickens:

Firstly @DoodMann, thanks, that is where I was headed until the latest development.

The news is, and I really don't get this, is that now both the built-in Lenovo laptop keyboard & Mouse and separate Logitech USB Keyboard have intermittent problems.
- For the Logitech it is , I think, only the keyboard, and the mouse is still usable
- The Logitech works fine plugged into a Windows 10 laptop. It can be non-functioning on the Lenovo running Mint, then be transferred to the Windows and work fine, then re-plug back to the Lenovo and not work again.
- I've not experienced a time when neither the internal and separate keyboards work at the same time
- there are plenty of times when they both work together

One thing I have yet to try is whether this might still occur with a different version of Linux. I could try it out with a live boot USB though there is a problem in that I have found that rebooting sometimes clears the problem anyway.

Are there any diagnostics of any sort I can try?
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

The Logitech USB keyboard is faulty? Wow, never experienced that. How about checking the connection of the USB? I you see the USB bent, stinkie! It's bad, and might be the problem, or it's connection inside the keyboard. If it still happens, why not use another keyboard if you have budget. Mine is an A1Tech. Never failed from me except it fell and it's keys fell off, but no worries, I just put it back.

If it still persists, and you want that Logitech keyboard, repairing it's connections inside the keyboard might be the solution.

I might not answer a day or two, gonna give my laptop a rest. But, if I can, i'll try on my phone to help you.
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"

Return to “Hardware Support”