Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Goth
Level 1
Level 1

Ryzen 5 with Radeon Vega 8 with Mint 19.3

Post by Goth »

I have a new Lenovo L340 with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and I am struggling to install the graphics driver. I have downloaded the tar file from the AMD site and extracted it to a directory. Following the instructions I am supposed to run ./amdgpu-install -y to install the software, but I get a message telling me I have the incorrect OS. Can anyone help ?
Kadaitcha Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Ryzen 5 with Radeon Vega 8 with Mint 19.3

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Goth wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 am
I have a new Lenovo L340 with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and I am struggling to install the graphics driver. I have downloaded the tar file from the AMD site and extracted it to a directory. Following the instructions I am supposed to run ./amdgpu-install -y to install the software, but I get a message telling me I have the incorrect OS. Can anyone help ?
You need to use a much later kernel than is available from the Ubuntu repositories. You need the mainline 5.7.1 kernel, and the only ways to get that are using a package called ukuu, which is available free but it's old. There is a paid version for $US12. The alternative is to download the deb files from mainline repository and install them manually. Note that I wrote, 5.7.1, not 5.7.2 or some other version.
[*] All kadaitcha men are liars
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

You can use mainline which is free:

https://code.launchpad.net/~cappelikan/ ... ubuntu/ppa

If you have ryzen 4500u/4700u laptop, the AmD drivers from AMDs web site will not work last time I checked.

Your best bet is to install a newer kernel from the 5.6 or 5.7 series.

If 3d performance suffers you can also try updating mesa.

Unfortunately these are very new chips and Linux support is still not mature
Batson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Batson »

AMD has come out with newer Radeon drivers that support Ubuntu 20.x versions but they will not install on Mint 20... If you try to install them you get the "Incompatible OS", installation aborted" message.

Specfically: amdgpu-pro-20.20-1098277-ubuntu-20.04 These drivers support the newer Ryzen - Radeon chipsets that have been out for awhile now.

Mint 20 is supposed to be based on Ubuntu 20.04... When are the Mint people going to get their act together and port over these drivers?

p.s. I am running the Linux 5.8.6-050806-generic kernel.
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Post by antikythera »

Batson wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:15 am
When are the Mint people going to get their act together and port over these drivers?

p.s. I am running the Linux 5.8.6-050806-generic kernel.
Probably never, they don't have access to the source code to package amdgpu-pro drivers as AMD do not release it. Mint don't package amdgpu drivers either, they come from Ubuntu LTS repositories upstream.

To get newer AMD drivers, use method 2 here. The page also explains why Ubuntu and therefore Mint drivers are outdated. Ubuntu package what they consider a stable older driver set:

https://linuxconfig.org/amd-radeon-ubun ... stallation
hglee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hglee »

Goth wrote: I have a new Lenovo L340 with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and I am struggling to install the graphics driver.

Check that Secure Boot is off in your UEFI / BIOS with this command ...

Code: Select all

mokutil --sb-state
The response should be "SecureBoot disabled".

Goth wrote: Following the instructions I am supposed to run ./amdgpu-install -y to install the software, but I get a message telling me I have the incorrect OS. Can anyone help ?

I found that the OS errors from the AMDGPU installation script are caused by Mint's hacked apt.

Whenever apt is called, the bogus one always gets found first because it's ahead of the proper apt in the Bash command path. To restore the real one, just rename the bogus one -- so then the legit /usr/bin/apt will be found in the command path as it normally should be.

Do this ...

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/local/bin/apt /usr/local/bin/fake.apt
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa, MATE 1.24.0, kernel 5.11.0*-hwe, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / Renoir GPU - 14" FHD WVA Touchscreen
Intel AX200 WiFi-6 BT-5.1; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; 2TB XPG NVMe
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Can you explain what the problem is with Mint's APT?
hglee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hglee »

clem wrote:Can you explain what the problem is with Mint's APT?
AMD's proprietary graphics driver simply wouldn't install.

I don't recall the specific error messages, but the driver installed properly after I got Mint's apt out of the way.
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa, MATE 1.24.0, kernel 5.11.0*-hwe, Dell 2-in-1
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / Renoir GPU - 14" FHD WVA Touchscreen
Intel AX200 WiFi-6 BT-5.1; 32GB DDR4@3200MHz; 2TB XPG NVMe
newriderca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by newriderca »

Goth wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 am
Bro my understanding the amdgpu driver are for content creator not for gaming. Use the default driver which is preloaded. The Amdgpu if you sucessfully install it you get lower fps. Look at the benchmark on youtube. So don't be hard headed and ruin ur os. I have a Rx 580 with default Mint 20 gpu graphic is around exactly same fps as window 10 on my system. That is including doom 2016, csgo, Unreal Tournament, Call of duty Modern many more. So why you so eager to install a driver that aint gonna give u higher performance? This isn't Nvidia!!!