Before you post please read how to get help
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Not able to resolve display (driver) issue

Post by ImWolf »

Linux Mint 19.2 x64
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT Graphics

I'm very new to Linux, and recently needed to re-install due to a hard drive failure. As I'm still slowly migrating away from MS Windows, I have not used Linux very much. When I first set out to try and resolve my video issues a few days ago, I failed to document every web page I read, and every key stroke I typed into Terminal, or the output.... so that history is lost.

When I hit the Linux Menu button, some of the items listed on the right panel are not legible until I hover the mouse pointer over them. (looks like letters on top of one another). Also, when I scroll web pages or move windows around the contents do not move smoothly at times and are not readable until I stop the motion. I think this is a video acceleration issue?

Driver Manager lists an Nvidia 304.137 driver, (which the Nvidia site describes as the x86 version for my graphics card), and an X.Org X server Nouveau (open source) driver. The X.org driver is selected for use, and I cannot try out the other one due to "Package dependencies cannot be resolved".

So, how do I go about fixing the package dependency error, and then install the most recent or stable driver for my Nvidia card to see if this smooths out the display?

Thanks,
Wolf

[EDIT] Solving this issue involved manually installing an incompatible Nvidia driver along with a 3rd party patch. To go directly to the summary "fix", use this link.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=328353&start=73
Last edited by ImWolf on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Not able to resolve display (driver) issue

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

ImWolf wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm
... I did some sort of ... I believe ... I have tried suggestions ... the final message is always similar to ... something like that.

Also tried other suggestions ... nada.
Unfortunately, your post is entirely made up of nebulous, undefined terms that have no technical meaning therefore there can be no real technical advice given unless we make major assumptions, and that leads to wasted time and effort. Technical support needs facts like links to what you've tried, links to what instructions you were following, if any, exact error messages quoted verbatim, copies of the exact commands you've used, information about what you are trying to achieve, and so on. In addition, by not telling us what you've already tried, you're just as likely to be told to try the same things again, which just wastes everyone's time and will likely cause you some angst as well.

You might like to click the link at the top of the page. You can't miss it, it's in red and says...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pay particular attention to item 5. If you reply with code from a terminal, wrap it in code tags [code]output.here[/code]. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:30 pm

Pay particular attention to item 5. If you reply with code from a terminal, wrap it in code tags [code]output.here[/code]. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.

Code: Select all

wolf@Wolf-Mint:~$ sudo find/search 4 days troubleshoot history
[sudo] password for wolf:       
sudo: find/search:history not found
Well darn..... that didn't help. I did edit my original post to clear things up perhaps?
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

Can you please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

inxi -Fxxxrz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

wolf@Wolf-Mint:~$ inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
  Host: Wolf-Mint Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 wm: muffin 4.2.2 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: MSI model: MS-7369 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2.9 date: 03/17/2009 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 3 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 11938 
  Speed: 2985 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2985 2: 2985 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0391 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NV4B v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA MCP65 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:07.0 chip ID: 10de:044a 
  Device-2: Creative Labs EMU10k1 [Sound Blaster Live! Series] 
  driver: snd_emu10k1 v: kernel bus ID: 01:09.0 chip ID: 1102:0002 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-112-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d800 
  bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.38 TiB used: 30.46 GiB (2.2%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3500414CS size: 465.76 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 5900 rpm serial: <filter> rev: CA14 scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AACS-00ZUB0 
  size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 1B01 scheme: MBR 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Hitachi model: HDS721050CLA660 size: 465.76 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> rev: A41A scheme: MBR 
  ID-4: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Glide 
  size: 14.59 GiB serial: <filter> rev: 1.00 scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 45.58 GiB used: 7.17 GiB (15.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc2 
  ID-2: /home size: 391.00 GiB used: 12.60 GiB (3.2%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdc3 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 11.17 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdc4 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 60 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/danielrichter2007-grub-customizer-bionic.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/danielrichter2007/grub-customizer/ubuntu bionic main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/graphics-drivers-ppa-bionic.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu bionic main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://mintmirror.math.washington.edu/linuxmint-repo tina main upstream import backport
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner
Info:
  Processes: 182 Uptime: 3m Memory: 7.79 GiB used: 986.5 MiB (12.4%) 
  Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 alt: 7 Shell: bash 
  v: 4.4.20 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.32 
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

I only used LM19.2 for a very short time, so I'm going to pull out some information and ask a few questions and perhaps some others can help.

Your graphics information is showing the nouveau driver as being installed and Nvidia does recommend the 304 driver for your card (presuming you need better performance than nouveau can provide).

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0391 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NV4B v: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes 
ImWolf wrote:
Driver Manager lists an Nvidia 304.137 driver and an X.Org X server Nouveau (open source) driver. The X.org driver is selected for use, and I cannot try out the other one due to "Package dependencies cannot be resolved".
Is this error showing in Driver Manager or does it come up at another time?
ImWolf wrote:
When I first set out to try and resolve my video issues a few days ago, I failed to document every web page I read, and every key stroke I typed into Terminal, or the output.... so that history is lost.
I noticed in the Repos section a reference to a grub customizer. Might you have made some changes in grub related to video drivers?
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:48 pm
I only used LM19.2 for a very short time, so I'm going to pull out some information and ask a few questions and perhaps some others can help.

Your graphics information is showing the nouveau driver as being installed and Nvidia does recommend the 304 driver for your card (presuming you need better performance than nouveau can provide).
And the Nvidia Drivers download page says it might be better to use the display driver package that comes with the Linux distro..... :b
SMG wrote:
Is this error showing in Driver Manager or does it come up at another time?
This error comes up when I open Driver Manager, highlight the Nvidia 304 driver and hit the "apply changes" button. At the top of the alert box it says "Package dependencies cannot be resolved" The box also says "This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time."

And when I hit the Details arrow it displays;
"The following packages have unmet dependencies:"

nvidia-304: Depends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) but 1:7.7+19ubuntu7.1 is to be installed
Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3) but 1:8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04 is to be installed
Depends: xorg-video-abi-23 but it is a virtual package

SMG wrote:
I noticed in the Repos section a reference to a grub customizer. Might you have made some changes in grub related to video drivers?
I installed the Grub Customizer because for me it was the easiest way to make changes to the boot cycle. I changed the default selection, increased the Timeout, and later added a stock background image supplied with Mint.

The video hickups I'm having were present b4 I installed Grub Customizer.
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:45 am
SMG wrote:

And the Nvidia Drivers download page says it might be better to use the display driver package that comes with the Linux distro..... :b
The 304 driver is an older driver and no longer being updated which is probably why the download page says it might be better to use something from the Linux distro.

I'm not familiar with why those error messages might be displaying, but will do some research later today to see if I can offer any help.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

I found this thread, [SOLVED] Nvidia 304 driver: Dependencies not met? which concluded nouveau is better than the 304 driver because of all the workarounds needed to get the 304 driver working in LM19.1.

The very last post is a link to this thread Opening MOV file with VLC / xplayer Freezes PC where the OP states, "My elderly nVidia card may be involved as the nVidia-304 driver is incompatible with kernels 4.15 onward so I rely on the default nouveau driver (last known good kernel for nVidia-304 was 4.13.0-45)." The LTS kernel for LM19.1 is 4.15.

The only suggestion I gleened reading through those links was to make sure you have the latest BIOS installed. Maybe you will see something else in those threads which might help.

Was LM19.2 the version you had on the original hard drive? I know you said you didn't use Mint much, but did you recall any issues?
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:27 pm
The only suggestion I gleened reading through those links was to make sure you have the latest BIOS installed. Maybe you will see something else in those threads which might help.

Was LM19.2 the version you had on the original hard drive? I know you said you didn't use Mint much, but did you recall any issues?
LM19.2 is the version I had previously installed. At that time, it was on a 500G HDD that was partitioned half as NTFS for Windows data storage, and the rest of the drive partitioned as just an EXT4 Root partition, and a Swap area partition.

That drive was becoming crowded because of large data archives, so I added a 3rd HDD to the system for just Mint. This time however, I went with a 50G Root partition, about 430G for the Home partition, and a 12G Swap partition. That HDD turned out to have a lot of bad blocks and when the Linux install finally succeeded it continued to crash until I replaced the drive with what I have now and re-installed Linux again as just described.

Although my MB is also quite old, I flashed the BIOS with the most current version some time ago.

A few days ago I had downloaded the Nvidia 304.1370 driver and attempted to install it from terminal per the install instructions, but an error popped up saying I needed to first stop the Xserver. I remembered then having been through this process b4 with a previous install and it lead to some headaches because I was trapped in a blank screen with just a blinking cursor with no way out but a hard reset..... I don't recall how I got past that and didn't want to repeat the process if there was an easier way.
Welcome
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Welcome »

ImWolf wrote:
When I hit the Linux Menu button, some of the items listed on the right panel are not legible until I hover the mouse pointer over them. (looks like letters on top of one another). Also, when I scroll web pages or move windows around the contents do not move smoothly at times and are not readable until I stop the motion. I think this is a video acceleration issue?
Those unreadable menu items are actually multiple copies of various menus superimposed on top of each other. At least in my humble experience.

I found an easy solution for me. On the login screen, click on the small round icon just above where you enter your password. Select "Software Rendering". Problem solved.

Hope it works you! :D
Sorry, I don't see your signature or avatar! Want a much nicer display without the noise?
phpBB: User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display Flash, signature, avatars = No
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

When I installed Mint I chose auto-login, so there is no screen to enter a password...... (I wish there was a way to get rid of every last password request!)
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:17 pm
A few days ago I had downloaded the Nvidia 304.1370 driver and attempted to install it from terminal per the install instructions, but an error popped up saying I needed to first stop the Xserver. I remembered then having been through this process b4 with a previous install and it lead to some headaches because I was trapped in a blank screen with just a blinking cursor with no way out but a hard reset..... I don't recall how I got past that and didn't want to repeat the process if there was an easier way.
This post is part of a thread that was started quite a while ago with instructions for installing and uninstalling the proprietary Nvidia drivers, but roblm has been updating it for each new version of Mint through LM20. Given what I read in the previous links I posted for you about the 304 driver not working well with the kernel you are using, I'm not sure these instruction will mean no headaches, but it's all I can offer at the present time. Read carefully to make sure you are using the instructions for LM19-some parts are the same as previous versions, but some are slightly different (due to the different linux kernels in each version). I don't recall how they compare to the instructions on the Nvidia site (which is what I presume you mean when you say you followed the instructions).
LM20.0 Cinnamon
Welcome
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Welcome »

ImWolf wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:31 pm
When I installed Mint I chose auto-login, so there is no screen to enter a password...... (I wish there was a way to get rid of every last password request!)
From the (Cinnamon) menu, find: Administration -> Login Window -> Users (tab at top) -> Automatic Login -> Username

Delete your username (leave the box blank). Then reboot. :D
Sorry, I don't see your signature or avatar! Want a much nicer display without the noise?
phpBB: User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display Flash, signature, avatars = No
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

Welcome wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:15 pm
ImWolf wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:31 pm
From the (Cinnamon) menu, find: Administration -> Login Window -> Users (tab at top) -> Automatic Login -> Username

Delete your username (leave the box blank). Then reboot. :D
Just went through those steps, and switching to the Rendering mode did fix the scrambled menu text 100%...... however, it made dragging windows and scrolling in a page even worse than b4..... :*(

Thanks just the same
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:49 pm
I'm not sure these instruction will mean no headaches, but it's all I can offer at the present time.
I really do appreciate all your time and effort friend, but that linked page is cryptic beyond my pay grade.... I'll try many other things b4 I venture off into that.
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:43 pm
SMG wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:49 pm
I'm not sure these instruction will mean no headaches, but it's all I can offer at the present time.
I really do appreciate all your time and effort friend, but that linked page is cryptic beyond my pay grade.... I'll try many other things b4 I venture off into that.
As I read it, the instructions you would need start at UPDATED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: 4-20-14 and just go to right above How to install the Nvidia driver on an Optimus laptop (integrated Intel + Nvidia card) - Added Dec. 2018. On my 13" laptop screen that part is slightly over a page long and spells out in detail what must be typed for each step along the way. I think many of the mentioned steps are probably the same as what are in the instructions you were using. If it was me, I'd print off the page and then scratch out what didn't apply and see what was left and then go from there--too confusing otherwise. There are also instructions on how to uninstall if it doesn't work. You can keep it in mind as a last resort. :D
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:10 pm
There are also instructions on how to uninstall if it doesn't work. You can keep it in mind as a last resort. :D
Even though the method this fellow posted does not come very close to any other suggested instructions, I decided to give it a try....

First, I booted up my Macrium Reflect Recovery stick, and created a whole disk image of the LM HDD. Then I printed out the section of the post you pointed to and began the process.

There was an error message about a failed script as mentioned in the post, which I ignored as instructed. Then there were 2 more alert boxes that had not been mentioned in the post. I didn't write any of this down, but I think the first one ask about registering a key for something called DKPM(?) which I might need later for a kernel update, so I chose YES. The 2nd one ask if I also wanted to install 32bit compatibility as might be needed for some programs, so I also chose YES.

So then the cryptic text flies across the screen for a minute and pauses to tell me that a lib??? file can't be found or used, and also that the DKPM(?) key at /etc/next/deeper/almost/bin/.file could not be created because it's too dark in there. (or whatever). Then at the end comes 3 error msg's that the installation has failed for various reasons, and I might want to read a log file, or try again without going through the DKPM thing.

Each time I booted into LM after this, I was met with a large welcome box stating "Cinnamon just crashed.... you are in Fallback mode..... Have a nice day". It had already occurred to me that if things went south I did NOT want to try and use a previous "snapshot" because then I might lose all the other changes I had recently made, the least of which not being that I finally got my Epson Printer / Scanner working. So I booted back into Winbloze to track down and print off the "uninstall Nvidia / re-install Nouveau" section of the post.

With that in hand, I booted back into LM, and executed all those instructions. There was one alert msg along the way dealing with an Nvidia Xserver file that could not be found and/or used. On restart I seemed to be back to in action, except the screen resolution was stuck at 640x480 and there were no other choices in the Display properties dialog.... but at least the nouveua driver was once again selected.

That's when I used my last reserve of colorful language (which was "frack this noise"), restored the disk image I had made earlier, and confirmed everything was actually back to square one.
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

On the bright side however....

A) I now have confirmed my disk image will recover the next failed Nvidia install attempt.

and

B) I also found another install method that looks very familiar and might be how I did this already quite a while back.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... cy-ubuntu/
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:29 am
There was an error message about a failed script as mentioned in the post, which I ignored as instructed. Then there were 2 more alert boxes that had not been mentioned in the post. I didn't write any of this down, but I think the first one ask about registering a key for something called DKPM(?) which I might need later for a kernel update, so I chose YES. The 2nd one ask if I also wanted to install 32bit compatibility as might be needed for some programs, so I also chose YES.

So then the cryptic text flies across the screen for a minute and pauses to tell me that a lib??? file can't be found or used, and also that the DKPM(?) key at /etc/next/deeper/almost/bin/.file could not be created because it's too dark in there. (or whatever). Then at the end comes 3 error msg's that the installation has failed for various reasons, and I might want to read a log file, or try again without going through the DKPM thing.
That message comes up if you have Secure Boot enabled according to the section Installation of the NVIDIA driver with SECURE BOOT enabled - Sept 2018: and is a means for leaving Secure Boot enabled but setting up the Nvidia driver so it is "trusted". It is my understanding that if you have Secure Boot enabled then the installation and loading of the Nvidia drivers will fail. (I know that to be true for at least LM19 and LM20; I don't know about earlier versions.) One either needs to turn it off to get the installed Nvidia drivers to load or one has to do the steps to make it signed and trusted.

I apologize for forgetting to ask if you had Secure Boot enabled. Some people have found they did turn it off, but then when they made BIOS updates that Windows turned it back on. They then had problems the next time they went into Mint because although the drivers were installed they would not load. Windows can be sneaky like that.
ImWolf wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:48 am
B) I also found another install method that looks very familiar and might be how I did this already quite a while back.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... cy-ubuntu/
That's dated 2013 so that is quite a few versions back of Mint (ie. kernels older than 4.15). I have no knowledge of if it might work.
LM20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Hardware Support”