Before you post please read how to get help
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Not able to resolve display (driver) issue

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:58 am
I apologize for forgetting to ask if you had Secure Boot enabled.
I really don't understand how a bios setting can affect installing display drivers for an existing OS.... or if my quite dated bios even has such a settings option... I'll check that out later.

No apologies needed. Even though this issue isn't resolved yet all your input is still valued.

I'll be working outdoors today so this will have to wait.
roblm
Level 13
Level 13

Post by roblm »

This info that SMG previously posted is correct:
SMG wrote: The very last post is a link to this thread Opening MOV file with VLC / xplayer Freezes PC where the OP states, "My elderly nVidia card may be involved as the nVidia-304 driver is incompatible with kernels 4.15 onward so I rely on the default nouveau driver (last known good kernel for nVidia-304 was 4.13.0-45)." The LTS kernel for LM19.1 is 4.15.

To use the nvidia-304 driver, you would have to go back to the 4.4 kernel used in Mint 18.x.

Linux Mint 19.3 and nvidia 304.137
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=316253

Nvidia 304 dependencies
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=313331

However, in this topic, I and later the OP were able to install the nvidia-304 driver by adding the 4.4 kernel to Mint 19.1. Strangely, I just now tried repeating those steps on an old PC with a GeForce 8400 card and Mint 19.1 Xfce but it failed with both Driver Manager and downloading the driver from Nvidia’s website:

Mint 19.1 XFCE, GeForce 6100 how to install NVIDIA drivers [RESOLVED]
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=286704
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

Required disclaimer: Use at your own risk. Do not attempt unless you know what you're doing.

Endgrain wrote...
It appears that NVIDIA 304 drivers are not supported by 18.04/Mint 19.3, which is fair enough given that my GPU is at least 11 years old. I avoided the problem by re-installing Mint 18.1 (4.4.0-53) and then installing the Nvidia-304 package from the repository.

Everything appears to work just fine.
Ref: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175676034/

If you try to follow the 2013 instructions in the Ubuntu Handbook http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... cy-ubuntu/, then here's some quick notes that may help. The NVIDIA 304 driver install questions were...

Register kernel in DKPM (for kernel upgrades)? I recommend 'No' unless you know this is needed and will work successfully.
Install 32-bit Opengl compatibility files in /emul/ia32-linux? I recommend 'No' (ditto - same reason).

System may respond, "You do not appear to have libc header files installed on your system." If so, you need to install libc header files first. Some people recommend build-essential:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install build-essential
Also, this link might be helpful on the steps to take to disable Nouveau:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable- ... aver-linux

I think a key step in this procedure is...

Code: Select all

sudo update-initramfs -u
If you're succesful, please let us know the steps you took. :)
Sorry, I don't see your signature or avatar! Want a much nicer display without the noise?
phpBB: User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display Flash, signature, avatars = No
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

There is no "Secure Boot" setting in my 2009 AMI Bios..... The closest item I found was "Boot Sector Protection" which is described as an anti virus setting. It's been set to Disabled.

This morning I tried something different, which was upgrade to LM19.3. Moving windows around and scrolling web pages looks real good now, but the menu items on the right panel (when there are more than fit the panel) are still gibberish until I hover over them..... so a slight improvement there.

Driver Manager still lists the Nvidia 304.137 driver, but still will not install it for testing.

Time to go paint the house some more..... 8)
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:18 pm
This morning I tried something different, which was upgrade to LM19.3. Moving windows around and scrolling web pages looks real good now, but the menu items on the right panel (when there are more than fit the panel) are still gibberish until I hover over them..... so a slight improvement there.
I did wonder if Nouveau's performance might be "better" with newer versions of LM. This seems to suggest it is.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:22 pm
I did wonder if Nouveau's performance might be "better" with newer versions of LM. This seems to suggest it is.
Yes.... I was hoping for that too which is why I went with the upgrade. Based on the info previously presented to me about the kernel incompatibility I wasn't surprised when the Nvidia driver still failed to install.

At this point, the only graphics issue I'm dealing with (that I'm aware of) is the menu, which most ppl might consider a minor annoyance and advise me to just live with it..... I'm kinda stubborn about some things though. :b
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:47 pm
At this point, the only graphics issue I'm dealing with (that I'm aware of) is the menu, which most ppl might consider a minor annoyance and advise me to just live with it..... I'm kinda stubborn about some things though. :b
Did you try the software rendering fix on this version? Maybe it works better in LM19.3 than it did in LM19.2?
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:50 pm
Did you try the software rendering fix on this version? Maybe it works better in LM19.3 than it did in LM19.2?
Tried that.... fixed the menu text, but made page scrolling and window dragging very ugly.

I read someone else fixed this problem of the menu text by changing it to a different font, but he didn't explain how he did it! LOL

Another page said I need to edit the Cinnamon.css file (as root).... I must have 50 of those files all over the place. How do I finally get rid of having to enter a password with every simple thing I want to do in this OS?
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:24 pm
I read someone else fixed this problem of the menu text by changing it to a different font, but he didn't explain how he did it! LOL

Another page said I need to edit the Cinnamon.css file (as root).... I must have 50 of those files all over the place. How do I finally get rid of having to enter a password with every simple thing I want to do in this OS?
System changes might be simple to make, but not everyone realizes all the ramifications of making the changes, so you need to type the secret passcode in order to make underlying system changes. ;)

I don't have an LM19.3 install handy, but on LM20 there is a menu applet which allows changes to some settings (no password needed to make changes!). Right-click the menu icon and select Configure. I have menu animations turned off; maybe that could help. (I have all animations turned off, so I'm not sure what this one change might do.)

When one changes to the Menu tab (at the top), the icon size change possibilities are available. Possibly adjusting those might help.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

I played around with that Menu applet. There's no text size or font selection in the version I have, and no other changes I tried fixed the issue. I have a feeling that nothing except correcting the display driver will really resolve this little bug.

Even though the scrolling and dragging are much improved now, they are not nearly as smooth as when I boot into MsWindows and perform the same actions. This is a bit frustrating as I know I've had Mint 19.2 running on this machine in the past with the Nvidia drivers installed and didn't have any of these problems..... the updates might have blown it for me?

So at this point I'm considering 3 options....

1) Try installing a newer (unsupported) 340 driver..... probably not a good idea.
2) Replace LM with an older version and go thru all the setup again.
3) Add older kernel to this install as mentioned previously in this thread. (I'm still a noob and don't even know what all the kernel is or does and how that will affect other things).
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

I have no idea how options 1 and 3 might work.
Regarding option 2, I believe LM18.3 is supported through April 2021. However, if you had LM19.2 working before, it's odd it is being cranky now.

The only other thing I could think of to try was doing a live session of LM20 to see if there was improvement. I don't hold out a whole lot of hope with that option, but going from LM19.2 to LM19.3 helped so maybe.
Last edited by SMG on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

SMG wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:02 pm
The only other thing I could think of to try was doing a live session of LM20 to see if there was improvement. I don't hold out a whole lot of hope with that option, but going from LM19.2 to LM19.3 helped so maybe.
I do have the LM20 ISO previously D/L and checked..... so I will try your suggestion a bit later just to see what happens.

This morning I attempted several methods of installing the Nvidia 304 driver again... no success but I think I learned a few things.

After one failed attempt the install left behind an Nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf file which, until I removed and updated initramfs, would always boot without the Nouveau driver loaded. This was exactly the same affect as booting with "software rendering".

When I hit advanced options during boot, I see about 5 different kernel versions listed. (I didn't know what these were previously). I tried booting with the oldest version and installing the Nvidia drivers during that session without any luck either.

There's a confusing section in a previous linuxmint post....
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=286704
Flemur wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm
I haven't read the whole thread but here's my 2 cents about installing nvidia drivers for older cards (I have a GS8400).

The 304 driver will only install with lower number kernels, like 4.4.x works IIRC.
The 340 driver will install with almost all higher-number kernels (4.17, 4.18, 4.19 etc) . I gave up trying to install 304, even though I prefer it slightly.

In mint the driver manager seemed to work well, if not use synaptic.
Why is Flemur saying that the 4.4.x kernel is a LOWER number than (4.17, 4.18, 4.19 etc) ???

Anyway..... next thing I will try is to create the Nouveau Blacklist file as previously suggested and try the Nvidia 304 install once again with the oldest kernel I can boot into. Failing that, I'll re-study how to install an even older kernel.
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

SMG wrote:
The only other thing I could think of to try was doing a live session of LM20 to see if there was improvement.
I think I can answer this one. NVIDIA Geforce Go 7700 laptop with LM20 has the same problems. In Nouveau mode some of the menus are messed up until you move the cursor over them. In "Software Rendering" mode, dragging windows is not smooth. So it sounds like the same.
Sorry, I don't see your signature or avatar! Want a much nicer display without the noise?
phpBB: User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Display Flash, signature, avatars = No
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

ImWolf wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:52 pm
... Why is Flemur saying that the 4.4.x kernel is a LOWER number than (4.17, 4.18, 4.19 etc) ? ...
Software release numbering usually follows a numbering scheme like "Major Release" . "Minor Release" . "Point Release", where each number is treated separately. Don't think of it like a decimal number.

So, the numbering from lowest release to higher release would go like this:

4.0.x
4.1.x
4.3.x
4.4.x
4.5.x
4.9.x
4.10.x
4.11.x
4.17.x
4.18.x
etc.
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

Welcome wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 pm
I think I can answer this one....
Yes you can :b

Thanks
ImWolf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ImWolf »

I put the LM20 ISO on a flash drive and played with the live version...... same display issues with that nouveau driver.

Then I tried something stupid and installed the (unsupported) Nvidia 340.108 driver which crashed Cinnamon.

After that I "purged nvidia". Things look back to normal but I'll bet there's garbage all over the system files now! ;b
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

ImWolf wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:13 am
I put the LM20 ISO on a flash drive and played with the live version...... same display issues with that nouveau driver.
Turning off the menu animations in LM20 didn't make a difference?

I'm not sure why just that one part of the system is not playing nice with nouveau, but, then again, there's a lot I don't know about the underpinnings of Cinnamon.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

ImWolf wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:52 pm
Why is Flemur saying that the 4.4.x kernel is a LOWER number than (4.17, 4.18, 4.19 etc) ???
Because 4 is a lower number than 17 etc.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

Welcome wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 pm
SMG wrote:
The only other thing I could think of to try was doing a live session of LM20 to see if there was improvement.
I think I can answer this one. NVIDIA Geforce Go 7700 laptop with LM20 has the same problems. In Nouveau mode some of the menus are messed up until you move the cursor over them. In "Software Rendering" mode, dragging windows is not smooth. So it sounds like the same.
UPDATE: After reinstalling LM20 and updating it on the NVIDIA Geforce Go 7700 laptop, I'd like to report a change in the Nouveau mode menu problem. Now the menus look clear upon first inspection. Unfortunately, now the highlighting of menu subitems appears to have a problem. For example, if I use the arrow keys to move around in the menu, then move to a menu subitem and then move up or down the subitem list, sometimes (not always), multiple items are highlighted.

So if you decide to try LM20, test the menus after you update. The NVIDIA Geforce Go 7700 laptop I tested has kernel 5.4.0-42.

Edit: A little more investigation. This new problem appears to only happen on the very long submenu lists. And if the submenu scrolls, the display is really bad. It's as if every pixel scroll has the submenu text displayed and never erased. The result is as if the text is smeared vertically and is filled with the color of the text (imagine vertical lines for each character pixel).

I had an idea yesterday that may help, and I'll test it to see if it's possible. Would it be possible to reduce the size of each submenu list? That is, limit the number of items in each submenu? I'm going to try this, perhaps by moving some submenu items to new menus.
Last edited by Welcome on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SMG »

Welcome wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:04 pm
UPDATE: After reinstalling LM20 and updating it on the NVIDIA Geforce Go 7700 laptop, I'd like to report a change in the Nouveau mode menu problem. Now the menus look clear upon first inspection. Unfortunately, now the highlighting of menu subitems appears to have a problem. For example, if I use the arrow keys to move around in the menu, then move to a menu subitem and then move up or down the subitem list, sometimes (not always), multiple items are highlighted.

So if you decide to try LM20, test the menus after you update. The NVIDIA Geforce Go 7700 laptop I tested has kernel 5.4.0-42.
Was this with the most recent cinnamon updates too? I do not know the details of the changes, but I recall there were changes.
LM20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Hardware Support”