Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fearless1012
Level 1
Level 1

RESOLVED Linux Mint 7 mouse freeze

Post by fearless1012 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Here was my issue - I had a MSI Wind Netbook. It was horrible for any Linux Distros, including distros optimized for netbooks. When I put Linux MINT on a larger Laptop (no ATOM processor) I never had a problem anymore.

My Microsoft Mouse always freezes in Linux Mint 7. The same happened in Ubuntu 9.04. I tried to install the previous OS versions, then the biggest problem became the Wireless could never connect. I really want to take advantage and have fun with the latest Linux releases, but how can I when it seems there is little out there to aid in preventing my mouse from Freezing?

I use a MSI Wind U120 Netbook and want to work in Linux, instead of Windows. I have installed and picked out what appears as worthy updates and programs in Mintstall, but the mouse freezes all the same.

Is this a Linux Mint & Ubuntu OS problem? Or is this a fault of XORG?? Somebody please help.
Last edited by fearless1012 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

igorzwx
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 7 constant mouse freeze

Post by igorzwx » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 am

QUOTE: "Microsoft Mouse"

Perhaps, the word "Microsoft" is the problem :D

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:26 am

Wired or wireless ? ps2 or USB ?

fearless1012
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fearless1012 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm

richyrich wrote:Wired or wireless ? ps2 or USB ?
It's a USB wirless mouse. It happens to be Microsoft, because the price was cheap at the store. I don't think the problem lies in my choice of the mouse because it worked the whole time in the older versions of Ubuntu and Mint. But back then, I had wireless problems. As soon as I got Linux Mint 7, Wireless worked perfect but now the mouse freeze.

igorzwx
Level 5
Level 5

Post by igorzwx » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:50 pm

QUOTE: "It's a USB wirless mouse."

Very strange! It should work.
I would try it with LiveCDs (without install), Ubuntu 8.04, and all other sorts of Ubuntu/Mint
and on more powerful boxes too.

Or is it a problem of Xorg?
You have a Netbook. It might be as powerful as my ancient box, I presume.

CPU?
RAM?

lspci -v

type this on terminal:

Johnny_Kage
Level 1
Level 1

Re: RESOLVED Linux Mint 7 mouse freeze

Post by Johnny_Kage » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 pm

I have the same problem!

I am running Linux Mint 7 on a Zotec Motherboard with nVidia 8100 chipset and graphics, 4GB 1GHz RAM, (2) 500 GB SATA 2 Hard Drives, and an AMD Phenom X4 64-bit processor. I am using the same microsoft USB wireless mouse (made for laptops) and it locks up. Sometimes every couple of minutes, and sometimes hours in between... But the keyboard still functions.

I guess I just need a new mouse. :cry:

Return to “Hardware Support”