When I try to delete printer HP Smart Tank 550 it just reappears.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
begtognen
Level 3
Level 3

When I try to delete printer HP Smart Tank 550 it just reappears.

Post by begtognen »

When I try to delete my printer (HP Smart Tank 550) it just reappears. It's the oddest thing. If I try renaming it, it creates a new instance of the original name.

The printer itself works just fine, but it'd be nice to be able to delete the extra instance. I've included a screenshot. "Printer" is what I'm using, the other is the one that I'm unable to delete.

Thanks so much for any help/suggestions.
printer.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: When I try to delete HP Smart Tank 550 it just reappears.

Post by DisturbedDragon »

This is because of cups-browsed. To stop this behaviour of auto discovering printers and installing them do the following in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl stop cups-browsed

sudo systemctl disable cups-browsed
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Actually it's avahi-daemon these days. I tried the disabling cups browse approach and it didn't make a jot of difference. Disabling the avahi-daemon did.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Maybe another candidate for purging ippusbxd: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3960#comment-161289 :?:
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

antikythera wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:58 am Actually it's avahi-daemon these days. I tried the disabling cups browse approach and it didn't make a jot of difference. Disabling the avahi-daemon did.
This method worked on all seven of my Mint Cinnamon 20 computers.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Fair enough, the printer networked to your 7 PCs obviously isn't as complicated as ours then. It's an HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 which has it's own internal print server which is picked up over the network by avahi-daemon, not just cups-browsed. This is across Mint LMDE4, Mint 20, Ubuntu 20.04 and Zorin 15. I have tried them all (some in VM, some bare metal) and found the same.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
begtognen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by begtognen »

Hey folks, thanks very much for your help. I disabled cups and now I'm able to delete the printer but there's just one more tweak I'd love to figure out. As you can see, there is only one printer now:
printer1.png
printer1.png (12.58 KiB) Viewed 802 times
But when I go to print a document, the HP printer still shows up:
printer2.png
I wasn't sure how to disable avahi-daemon, so I didn't try that - maybe that's it? Any ideas would be appreciated.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Have you restarted the machine since? It may be as simple as that just to clear the printer from there too. If not do this and restart again:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl disable avahi-daemon
begtognen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by begtognen »

All set! Yes, I had restarted the computer after disabling cups, but disabling avahi-daemon fixed the second part of the issue. Thanks so much.
begtognen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: When I try to delete printer HP Smart Tank 550 it just reappears.

Post by begtognen »

Whoops - I spoke too soon. When I disabled avahi-daemon, the second printer instance went away, but the actual printer stopped working as well. I deleted the printer, enabled avahi-daemon again, added the printer again, and all is working *but* the second printer instance still shows up in the printer dialog.

(It doesn't seem to be there for any reason; if I try choosing it "getting printer information" pops up and stays there until I hit cancel.)

Return to “Hardware Support”