Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Romuald
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20.4 Mate - Keyboard turns off

Post by Romuald »

Hi,

I'm having issue with the keyboard on a newly installed Lenovo Yoga C940. Mint Mate 20.4. More system info below.

After a longer inactivity, typically looking at youtubes videos, the keyboard is not working anymore. Touchpad and Touchscreen are still available. Putting the system in suspend mode and restarting it reactivates the keyboard. It is as if the keyboard would go in a kind of idle mode and only reactivates when starting from suspend or reboot.
I couldn't find anything through googling so far.

Did anybody encounter similar issues?

KR

System: Kernel: 5.4.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0
wm: marco dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine: Type: Convertible System: LENOVO product: 81TE v: Lenovo Yoga C940-15IRH
serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 31 v: Lenovo Yoga C940-15IRH serial: <filter>
Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0R32862 WIN serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO
v: BSCN27WW date: 09/25/2019
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 20.4 Mate - Keyboard turns off

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Try these:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... g/da3wgf2/

https://techwiser.com/fix-keyboard-not- ... ntu-18-04/

Could be you have a defective keyboard. If all else fails, replace the keyboard.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Romuald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Romuald »

Thank you for your input.

as I have the issue with a brand new computer, I cannot imagine that completely outdated bios might be an issue here. What I experience is also different from what's described. Everything works fine as long as I do not look at videos. I noticed the problem after watching youtube videos with firefox, I'll check if it also happen with local videos and vlc.

xserver-xorg-input-all is up to date but I forced a reinstall nevertheless and rebooted: sudo apt-get reinstall xserver-xorg-input-all

I don't expect it to get any better but wait and see.

My question would be: in which logs should I look for any hint or is there any kind of debugging I can do to narrow the search for the actual issue?

Best regards
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

BIOS is current but it could just be the fact it's a brand spanking new convertible that doesn't play nicely with linux at present*. Being a little pedantic there is no Mint 20.4, it's Mint 20.

You could try a newer kernel than 5.4 and see if that helps but be aware it's on you to sort out the mess if it goes wrong. You won't damage your hardware but it can potentially introduce different stability issues instead or loss of functionality through lack of supported kernel modules:

https://itsfoss.com/upgrade-linux-kernel-ubuntu/

*It will take Lenovo to work with Ubuntu or upstream kernel developers. Failing that, someone in the user community to reverse engineer how it works and submit a patch to the kernel.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Romuald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Romuald »

Ok, I guess mint 20 ubuntu 20.04 was the right way to put it.

Anyway, the problem remains. It happens somehow randomly after watching a few youtube videos. _The onscreen keyboard won't work neither._ Touchpad and touchscreen are working just fine. I can open further applications like libreoffice writer, but there will be no cursor available for text input. Neither in an xterm.
As it also affects the onscreen keyboard, I guess that keyboard defect can be ruled out.

It's not critical, as I just have to put the system in sleep a wake it back to get the keyboard working again.

Sill, any hint on how to narrow the potential causes further is welcome. I don't know if there's anything I could find in some system logs.

Best regards
Romuald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Romuald »

Update:

the problem is related to video. It happens also after video conferences, not only video streaming. The shortcuts like Ctrl+Alt+F1 remains active. Switching to the console and back to the X Server (Ctrl+Alt+F1 / Ctrl+Alt+F7) solves the issue. The keyboard is fully functional again after switching back to the desktop. :?:

Right mouse click is also affected by the issue and gets solved the same way.

Return to “Hardware Support”