Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: SATA controller card insanity

Post by MartyMint »

I wouldn't recommend a SAS controller for average user every day use.

That's like swatting a fly with a bazooka.

The OP's problem is likely power delivery to SATA drives through the PCI-E port. They might be asking too much of a power delivery through a single port.

P.S. Marvel controllers are well supported in the Linux kernel.
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

SAS. Another item to research to find out what it is and what it does. I have actually 4 extra SSD drives gathered over the years, and this SAS controller only seems to make use of one.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

One SAS connection can provide 4x SATA ports, you just need the right cable for the task. One of those Amazon links above even recommends the right cable type.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

I will check into it. Thanks.
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

MartyMint, you mentioned "Marvel controllers are well supported in the Linux kernel." This is only true if you know what you are doing. Since there are no installers and since the latest Linux driver seems to be from 2011, us new Linux users are out of luck. If I had the time to research all of this, I might be able to find a solution, but my time is limited for this sort of thing. I am doing this right now on company time, so I gotta git. Don't think I don't appreciate the advice and wisdom. I do. I just have trouble figuring out how to arrange time to get it all done.
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

Those cables - should they be with or without SATA power?

What does forward breakout mean?
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

I would go for a cable without the additional SATA power connections and connect the drives independently to the PSU for power instead.
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

Is 650W good enough of a power supply?
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

For the hardware you have it should be fine. To quantify that statement, I use an EVGA B3-650 in my gaming rig with a Ryzen 5 1600, 32GB (4x8GB modules) RAM, Samsung EVO 970 PCI-E, Crucial MX500 SSD, LG DVD+RW and a GTX1080ti hooked up to a 1440p monitor. Even with that there's still a comfortable amount of capacity left.

4x SSD don't consume that much more than 2x HDD would.

If you are unsure, use a PSU Calculator and enter your machine's components into it. They are widely available on the web from different PSU manufacturers. The outervision one is used by most of the brands though.
roblm
Level 13
Level 13

Post by roblm »

I installed this controller card in a PC with Mint 19 a few months ago and it works fine without doing anything except to disable the onboard SATA controller in the BIOS first, to be able to boot with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Port%EF%BC%8CMar ... 42&sr=8-62
Last edited by roblm on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

roblm, I will definitely try this. thanks!
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

ciresmis wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:36 am
MartyMint, you mentioned "Marvel controllers are well supported in the Linux kernel." This is only true if you know what you are doing. Since there are no installers and since the latest Linux driver seems to be from 2011, us new Linux users are out of luck.
You are looking for a Windows answer when in fact you have a Linux question.
EXE's and crappy plastic optical media included with hardware is a Microsoft paradigm.

Trust your kernel.
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

You are indeed correct. This is why my sound is not quite working right, my hard drives have failed, I have to reprogram my mouse every time I reboot, my html home page is inaccessible, and no telling what else. It used to be that any change I wanted to make I could. That is not the case now. Simple tweaks are filled with jargon I know nothing about, so every issue, big or small, has its own set of language I must learn. It is a slow process. Frustrating at times. And I still have an old scanner and printer to hook up. It is another story why I haven't done so already. Another day.

Despite the setbacks, I will not quit. It will just take more time and more money it seems to get it all right.

Thanks for all the help.

ciresmis
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

Let's say I buy this SAS to SATA card. I just plug it in and then reboot and Linux will automatically find it? If not, what do I do to install it successfully?
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

Gigabyte just replied to my inquiry about the controller card. They completely absolved themselves by telling me that Linux is not supported. Fancy that. makes me wonder what other problems I will encounter because Gigabyte doesn't support Linux.
kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

I have gigabyte mobo's running Linux with no problems what so ever, and have never struck one that doesn't.
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

That is good news. Let's hope I am not the first.
kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

Have you tested a ssd on another computer?
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

ciresmis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 pm
Gigabyte just replied to my inquiry about the controller card. They completely absolved themselves by telling me that Linux is not supported. Fancy that. makes me wonder what other problems I will encounter because Gigabyte doesn't support Linux.
My GA-AM1M-S2H runs linux perfectly but the bulk of the controllers are in the Athlon 5350 die. There's only the iTE hardware monitoring sensor, Realtek Audio Codec and Realtek Gigabit LAN on the board apart from the EFI chip.

They can't be held responsible for any PCI-E add-in products you attempt to use with the board either that they did not manufacture. You'd have to contact the manufacturers of the SATA cards but will likely not get much help from them either.
ciresmis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciresmis »

kato181, I have not had the time to test any of the drives. Hopefully I will have some free time this weekend.

Return to “Hardware Support”