[SOLVED -kinda] What usable fan speed controls are working with mint20?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
olo
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED -kinda] What usable fan speed controls are working with mint20?

Post by olo »

I am looking for something to control my fan speed on a Lenovo Yoga 710 (see bottom)
So far search was not very fruitful.
Any input welcome
Last edited by olo on Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Testing with (deepin) Mint20C right now: "2011: ASUS is proud to deliver the world's first ultrabook..." ASUS ZenBook UX31E (now triple boot Win 7, Win 10, LM 20)
olo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: What usable fan speed controls are working with mint20?

Post by olo »

the advanced search here is no big help, since it is ignoring it's own recommended boolean search
Search found 2445 matches: +fan + speed +control
Searched query: +speed +control
ignored: +fan
all I found was outdated no longer supported and no longer working things on the net.
even the trick via wine did not work to install a very good and easy speed control.

So no one her has any newer (4 years and younger) ultrabook or laptop where a speed control app what still works in 20 running?
is there not such thing as legacy support in Linux?
:(
Testing with (deepin) Mint20C right now: "2011: ASUS is proud to deliver the world's first ultrabook..." ASUS ZenBook UX31E (now triple boot Win 7, Win 10, LM 20)
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Also don't forget to read the message in red/pink at the very top of the forum ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
olo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by olo »

@ sinoro yes I have and tried most things short of the compiler thing.
no go
also a lot of other things what did not work.

@ ZakGordon
and how does this help me with my question?

I also tried this good explanation https://youtu.be/XFYK9y55nZ4 but there are according to pwmconfig, There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed*
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

olo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:32 pm
@ ZakGordon
and how does this help me with my question?
Point number 5.

It's upto you of course, but that info is there for a good reason :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
olo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by olo »

well I can say that if you have a Lenovo Yoga 710 you are out of luck.
I switched to the first ultrabook an ASUS UX31E what has a very quiet fan and there fan control works out of the (Mint) box.
Go figure.
olo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED -kinda] What usable fan speed controls are working with mint20?

Post by olo »

LM20 uses the Linux kernel 5.4 - The Lenovo Yoga 710 is a dual fan system

just found this info:

Linux 5.8 Will Finally Be Able To Control ThinkPad Laptops With Dual Fans
Written by Michael Larabel in Hardware on 3 May 2020 at 06:28 AM EDT.
HARDWARE --
Long overdue but for Lenovo ThinkPad laptops sporting two fans, the Linux 5.8 kernel will see the ability to control both fans.

On the likes of the Lenovo ThinkPad P50, P51, P52, P70, P71, P72, P1 Gen1, P2 Gen2, X1 Extreme Gen1, and X1 Extreme Gen2 there are two fans that the Linux kernel's ThinkPad_ACPI driver will now be able to control.

However, with this driver improvement, while both fans can now be controlled they are being controlled in tandem. At this point it's not possible to independently manipulate the fan speeds but rather both are changed to the same threshold, which is at least better than having the secondary fan always spinning at its maximum speed.

This stems from requests for years about being able to handle multiple fan controls on ThinkPad laptops under Linux.

The support is now queued for the Linux 5.8 cycle as part of the x86 platform driver changes this summer.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ontrol-5.8

and... -------------------------------------------------

Linux Kernel 5.8 “The Biggest Release of All Time” is Finally Available Now

Last updated August 7, 2020 By Ankush Das

Linux 5.8 is one of the biggest releases of all time as pointed out by Linus Torvalds. However, unlike other releases, you may not see a lot of eye candy changes for an average user to understand.

Overall, the Linux kernel 5.8 release introduces a bunch of driver support, security improvements, and optimizations.

Just to put it in perspective, Linus Torvalds did mention this with Linux 5.8 RC1 release:

But again, 5.8 is up there with the best, despite not really having any single thing that stands out. Yes, there’s a couple of big driver changes (habanalabs and atomisp) that are certainly part of it, but it’s not nearly as one-sided as some of the other historical big releases have been.
--------------------------
So I need to wait for this kernel to be available before I can see if thsi solves the problem.
olo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by olo »

Bummer
I tried the extix-20.10-64bit-deepin-20-live-2640mb-201021.iso
which has the newest kernel 5.9.1 but the Lenovo is still not cooperating.
On the other hand I had the pleasure to see the nicest desktop environment with the new deepin 20. :o
If you ever missed XP to 7 than this is your next choice in de but with a much modern and stylish aproach.
(Mint software manager is way better than what was on that distro)
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Have you tried thinkfan (available via software manager)? Don't know if it works with a Yoga 710.
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bio ... fan.1.html
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

olo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:29 am
So I need to wait for this kernel to be available ...
Who told you that? Install it from within Update Manager.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Return to “Hardware Support”