Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
enr_sal
Level 1
Level 1

HP tilt pen - spectre x360

Post by enr_sal »

hi,
I have a spectre x360. The HP tilt pen that doens't behave properly when the screen is sideways.
What can i do to fix it? It works fine when screen is in normal position or tilted 360.
I'm on versione Ulyana.
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: HP tilt pen - spectre x360

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, enr_sal.
enr_sal wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:27 pm
hi,
I have a spectre x360. The HP tilt pen that doens't behave properly when the screen is sideways.
What can i do to fix it? It works fine when screen is in normal position or tilted 360.
I'm on versione Ulyana.
Are you using the Cinnamon desktop?

If so, check in the Display app under the Settings option (at the top of the window) to see if you have "Disable automatic screen rotation" turned on.

If changing that setting does not make any difference, check in the Graphics Tablet app to see if there are settings which might be affecting your pen.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
enr_sal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enr_sal »

SMG wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 pm
Welcome to the forum, enr_sal.
enr_sal wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:27 pm
hi,
I'm on versione Ulyana.
Are you using the Cinnamon desktop?

If so, check in the Display app under the Settings option (at the top of the window) to see if you have "Disable automatic screen rotation" turned on.

If changing that setting does not make any difference, check in the Graphics Tablet app to see if there are settings which might be affecting your pen.

i have cinnamon, yes.
I tried with the "screen rotation", but if i disable it, obviously, the screen doesn't rotate, which is what i need.
Tried to see if there is some setting in the graphic tablet, but nothing came up.
any ohter suggestion?
Maybe i have to explain better my situation: when the laptop is sideways and i move the pen from one point to another, the movement it registers doesn't follow the orientation of the device, but rather reacts as if the device was in the standard position. Example: pen moves upwards, pointer moves to the left.
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

enr_sal wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 pm
Tried to see if there is some setting in the graphic tablet, but nothing came up.
There are no settings at all available in Graphics Tablet app?
enr_sal wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 pm
Maybe i have to explain better my situation: when the laptop is sideways and i move the pen from one point to another, the movement it registers doesn't follow the orientation of the device, but rather reacts as if the device was in the standard position. Example: pen moves upwards, pointer moves to the left.
Do you have the laptop folded into a tablet when this is happening? Or is it still in laptop mode?

I'm not understanding the difference between "laptop is sideways" and "standard position". I'm not an expert on this, but if I understand the code correctly, I think there is laptop mode and tablet mode. Laptop mode would be having the keyboard available and tablet mode would be no keyboard available.

Please open a terminal and provide the output of xinput.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
enr_sal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enr_sal »

this is the output for "ximput"

Code: Select all

⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2597                   	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2597 Pen (0)           	id=18	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2597 Eraser (0)        	id=19	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ELAN2514:00 04F3:2597                   	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Intel Virtual Button driver             	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wireless hotkeys                     	id=14	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wide Vision FHD Camera: HP I         	id=16	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HP Wide Vision FHD Camera: HP W         	id=17	[slave  keyboard (3)]
there are no setting in graphic tablet app
with sideways i mean in vertical position, my bad. this thing happend in vertical position both in laptop and in tablet mode.
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

You mentioned earlier that you needed the screen to rotate (which makes sense). If I say that when you turned it vertical the screen rotated but the pen did not rotate with it, does that sound like your situation?

As I understand it, this pen has a bluetooth connection to the computer. I do not know where the connection between the pen and the surface is defined in that type of situation, so I do not know where one might make sure the match between the two rotating in sync would be located. I'm only aware of the Graphics Tablet app and some setting files. I checked the files, but I was not able to find anything with the numbers from your xinput in those files so I'm not sure how the pen in working in your situation.

Maybe someone else will be able to help.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
enr_sal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enr_sal »

SMG wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:58 pm
You mentioned earlier that you needed the screen to rotate (which makes sense). If I say that when you turned it vertical the screen rotated but the pen did not rotate with it, does that sound like your situation?

As I understand it, this pen has a bluetooth connection to the computer. I do not know where the connection between the pen and the surface is defined in that type of situation, so I do not know where one might make sure the match between the two rotating in sync would be located. I'm only aware of the Graphics Tablet app and some setting files. I checked the files, but I was not able to find anything with the numbers from your xinput in those files so I'm not sure how the pen in working in your situation.

Maybe someone else will be able to help.

yes, it is my situation.
hopefully someone will help, thank you!

Return to “Hardware Support”