Touchpad not working after OS setup [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aldi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Touchpad not working after OS setup [SOLVED]

Post by aldi »

quim wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:08 pm Hello! Another extreme newbie here with roughly the same setup. I also have an Acer Aspire 5 A515-56 with no OS before I just installed Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon today, and like @aldi the Touchpad doesn't work. I also tried to apt-get the HWE kernel series like @kelebek333 said and it seems it fixed many things with the keyboard, but not the touchpad. If you could help me with that it would be great.
Hi @quim
Sorry for the late answer! Have you installed synaptics before apt-get HWE kernel series? I did that to try and fix it (it didn't at first) but after updating to the HWE kernel series my drivers look like this:

Code: Select all

grep -i "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[     5.092] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Acer Wireless Radio Control'
[     5.180] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[     5.196] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[     5.215] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
[     5.232] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SYNA7DB5:01 06CB:CD41 Mouse'
[     5.283] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SYNA7DB5:01 06CB:CD41 Touchpad'
[     5.377] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Intel HID 5 button array'
[     5.410] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Intel HID events'
[     5.431] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[     5.468] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Acer WMI hotkeys'
[     5.618] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SYNA7DB5:01 06CB:CD41 Touchpad'
[     5.702] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HD User Facing: HD User Facing'
I can see that you're using the libinput driver for your touchpad, when mine switched to the synaptics when fixed.
If you haven't already, I would suggest installing the synaptics driver following the instructions here https://linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php and restarting as suggested by @kc1di in this thread.
I hope this does the trick!

PS: in order to use my headphones, I also have to switch it manually from sound settings. Hopefully we can find a solution soon :?
quim

Re: Touchpad not working after OS setup [SOLVED]

Post by quim »

aldi wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 am Hi @quim
Sorry for the late answer! Have you installed synaptics before apt-get HWE kernel series? I did that to try and fix it (it didn't at first) but after updating to the HWE kernel series my drivers look like this:
I figured it out!!! Thanks everyone. What I did in the end was follow the instructions from this discussion:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... cer-aspire

Indeed the only thing left to figure out would be to automatically change to headphones audio output instead of doing it manually. Anyone has any idea what could be causing this problem?
tipokgg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Touchpad not working after OS setup

Post by tipokgg »

kelebek333 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:35 pm There is a general touchpad regression starting with kernel 5.4.0-58 version and seems to have affected many devices. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li ... t=5.4.0-58

You can try to install the HWE kernel series with the following command and restart your system.

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-20.04
Hi! Thank you, it works for me!
My touchpad didn't work after installation Mint 20.1, but worked on Ubuntu 21.04
Notebook: HONOR MagicBook 15 2021 (BDR-WFH9HN)
And this solve problem with speakers, they didn't work before fix too.
Maybe, this information will help someone with the same issues
Himoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Himoo »

kelebek333 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:35 pm There is a general touchpad regression starting with kernel 5.4.0-58 version and seems to have affected many devices. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li ... t=5.4.0-58

You can try to install the HWE kernel series with the following command and restart your system.

Thank you.
XdoesTech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XdoesTech »

:D MADE AN ACCOUNT JUST TO SAY THANKS B

Return to “Hardware Support”