Extended screen turns to dual when lid closed or hibernate

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Extended screen turns to dual when lid closed or hibernate

Post by Skalman »

Hi!
Lenovo R60 (old) and 24" extended VGA screen. Linux Mint 19.3 Mate.
I want ALWAYS the laptop screen to be the primary one. There is a possibility to set the 24" screen to primary but not the opposite.
I set the 24" screen as extended! That's the way I like to use it.

Every time I close the laptop lid or set it to hibarnate or "sleep", when turning on again I got a "copied" "dual" screens on both and wrong pixels on the 24" screen. Can not reset it to extended

If i disconnect the 24" then all my icons are gethered to one single point on the laptop screen.
I'm sooooo.. tired of this and can not get around it. :(

How to solve it? Need some help wiht this.

Same problem if I restart the Lx 20.1 and it was the same with the old Lx 18.2 systems as well.
I hope this can be managed via the Linux configuration and is not a Lenovo Hardware problem.
Hopefully someone has a solution?
Thank You!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Extended screen turns to dual when lid closed or hibarnate

Post by shedyed »

Here is one way to deal with it, until we find something way better. Maybe you've heard about it; now it's time to use it to your advantage.

I would set up the screens like normal--that is, your everyday typical layout: laptop is primary, and the big screen is an extended display of the primary. Now run xrandr -v (for verbose output). The arch wiki is an excellent resource (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr). You can then set it up as a simple script, to make the adjustment after opening the lid. This might have to do until we get it 100% sorted.
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Extended screen turns to dual when lid closed or hibarnate

Post by Skalman »

Thank You shedyed!
The sudo xrandr gave the answer version 1.5

Visited the archlinux site and there was much to see and learn. Give me some time to understand all of that new information and I 'll give it a try. In meanwhile, I do not close the lid. :)
Are You one of the "developers"? Based on your:"This might have to do until we get it 100% sorted."
Thank You this far.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Extended screen turns to dual when lid closed or hibernate

Post by shedyed »

No, not one of the developers; just like to fiddle with duals when there's a new screen. Besides, I use a different window manager, so others could chime in with the finer details to get your desktop restored in full. Xrandr provides a way to save and restore the layout and resolution(s).
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Extended screen turns to dual when lid closed or hibernate

Post by Skalman »

Thanks.
I do not more about this for a while. I hope the isssue is not there using the Mint 20.xx.
Thank you.

Return to “Hardware Support”